I was self-obsessed, says Anil Kapoor
New Delhi: Anil Kapoor, riding high post his international success with `Slumdog Millionaire`, now wants to focus on social issues by lending his support to birth registration and human trafficking.
The 51-year-old actor, who has given major hits like `Mashaal`, `Tezaab`, `Virasat`, `Taal`, `Pukar` says ten years ago he was just full of himself -- his family, his career and thought of nothing beyond that.
"Some years back my life was all about me, myself, my film, my career, my family, my house. I was self-obsessed and then I realised that it was enough. It was then I decided to focus on other things in life than just myself," Anil told reporters.
"I realised it was time for me to give back and do something selflessly. My wife and children motivated me to be part of social issues and it was then I got myself involved," he said.
The actor has pledged his support to the promotion of birth registration, as part of the Universal Birth Registration campaign (UBR) and also participated in an initiative to eradicate girl trafficking.
"I wouldn`t have done this 10 years back. I used to wonder how people get involved with such issues. But then when I started, surprisingly I enjoyed doing it, felt happy and satisfied. It is a fulfilling experience," said Anil, who was in the capital for the premiere of CNN`s documentary on human trafficking.
Anil, who is also a producer, said that since Bollywood has such a huge mass appeal, mainstream films on various social issues should be made to create awareness.
"We should make mainstream films addressing social causes with big stars so that these reach out to the masses. I want to make such a film but I won`t act in it as I am not a big enough star to pull in audience," Anil said.
The actor also spoke about his daughter, actress Sonam and said that her impulsive nature gets her in trouble.
"Sonam speaks her heart and that is how she gets into trouble. But I never give her any advice. In fact, I take advice from her.
"I believe women are superior to men. More women oriented films should be made. My daughter also makes sure that she chooses roles which have strong portrayal of women," Anil said.
The actor, who is playing a negative role opposite Tom Cruise in `Mission Impossible 4`, said he is very happy for Amitabh Bachchan, who is debuting in Hollywood with Baz Luhrmann`s `The Great Gatsby`.
"I am happy for Amitabh Bachchan. Very happy for him," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mamata Banerjee pays homage to 'Mahanayak' Uttam Kumar
- Want to make your loved one's birthday special? Watch how to make handmade cards!
- Sidharth Malhotra, Katrina Kaif look super HOT in new 'Kala Chashma' stills! You will 'Baar Baar Dekho' it
- S H Raza was a secularist in the true sense: Fraternity
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' beats Salman Khan's 'Sultan', crosses Rs 40 cr mark on opening day!
- 'Casino Royale' actress Caterina Murino was sleepless over rape cases in India
- Arjun Rampal's mother fights cancer, actor prays for her good health
- Adele plants kiss on fan's lips
- Hrithik Roshan's kids Hrehaan and Hridhaan emulate daddy dearest and we are loving it! See pic
- Whoa! Deepika Padukone meets Ranbir Kapoor, Fawad Khan on 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' sets?