I was teased for my looks: Gabourey Sidibe
London: `Precious` actress Gabourey Sidibe says she once lost her temper and beat up a classmate at school because she could no longer tolerate his cruel bullying.
The 29-year-old plus-size African-American actress, who was nominated for an Academy Award in 2009 for her turn in `Precious`, said life hasn`t always been easy and she was often teased for her looks when growing up, reported Daily Star.
"I was made fun of a lot... I was a huge cry baby... But crying never kept people from making fun of me and crying never kept away any of the bad feelings so I had to learn how to deal with it. My strength came from weakness in a lot of ways... Because I just got so tired. It was like being beaten, that`s what made me start to stand up for myself," she said.
"There was one kid in junior high, he would bully me so, so, so much. He would pick on me so much, he threw paper balls at me and I kind of just let it happen. I couldn`t say stop it. And then we had an altercation. And I tore into him like a tornado. And that`s what stopped it Beating that kid up really, really worked... It solved the problem for a split second... It solved the problem with him," Sidibe added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Richa Chadha keen to play Draupadi on screen!
- Priyanka Chopra shares moment of 'madness' with Hugh Jackman!
- When Chris Martin calls Katrina 'Katrina Kaif Kapoor'
- This is how Akshay Kumar made his darling daughter Nitara's birthday more special! Pics inside
- B-Town celebs congratulate Sania Mirza on Pan Pacific Open win!