Lostprophets singer jailed for 35 years for child sex abuse
London: British rocker Ian Watkins of the band Lostprophets has been jailed for 35 years for a string of child sex crimes including the attempted rape of a baby, as police said investigations were also under way in the United States and Germany.
Watkins, 36, who admitted 13 offences at Cardiff Crown Court in Wales last month, had "plumbed new depths of depravity," his judge said.
The singer, whose band sold millions of albums around the world, plotted the abuse of two children with their own mothers in a series of text and Internet messages.
After sexually touching one groupie`s 11-month-old baby son, the heavily-tattooed rocker then tried to have penetrative sex with the child.
He also encouraged a second fan to abuse her female child during a webcam chat and secretly stashed child porn videos, some of which he had made himself.
Britain`s GCHQ intelligence agency was called in to crack his laptop password, which referenced his perversion.
Judge Roger Royce told Watkins: "Those who have appeared in these courts over many years see a large number of horrific cases. This case, however, breaks new ground."
His two accomplices, known only as Woman A and Woman B to protect the identity of their children, were jailed for 14 years and 17 years respectively.
A `dark and sinister side`
The singer used his fame and power over "fawning" young female fans to "help satisfy your insatiable lust and take part in the sexual abuse of their own children," Royce said.
Behind his public performances lay "a dark and sinister side," said Royce.
"You are a deeply corrupting influence, you are highly manipulative, you are a sexual predator, you are dangerous.
"The public and, in particular, young females need protection from you.
"You spoke of not knowing to what extremes you would have gone but for your arrest. It is difficult to imagine anything much worse."
The court on Wednesday heard a transcript of a telephone call that Watkins made to a female fan from prison the day after he admitted the crimes, saying he was going to issue a statement after he was sentenced saying it had all been "mega lolz".
Watkins will be released on parole in around 20 years` time and spend the rest of his sentence on licence, meaning he must adhere to certain conditions or face recall to prison.
Investigations in several countries
Police suspect the offences Watkins admitted may be only the tip of the iceberg.
Detective Chief Inspector Peter Doyle, who put together the case against Watkins, said the trial involved the "most disturbing child abuse evidence I have seen in my 28 years as a police officer".
"Today`s sentence does not mark the end of our investigations and we will work tirelessly to identify any other victims or witnesses and seek the justice that they deserve," he said.
Police had received fresh information in recent weeks, he said.
"There are also investigations being conducted by other police forces around the world, including Germany and the United States," Doyle added.
Prosecutors said Watkins was "highly dangerous".
"Ian Watkins was the ringleader of this terrible conspiracy and it is right that his sentence reflects this," a Crown Prosecution Service spokeswoman said in a statement after sentencing.
"He is a highly dangerous and manipulative individual who preyed on his victims in a calculated manner.
"It is incomprehensible that adults would commit such appalling acts against children and young people, and our thoughts remain with the victims and those close to them."
Lostprophets, who formed in 1997 and had a string of gold albums in the United States and platinum albums in Britain, disbanded earlier this year after Watkins was charged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- B.B. King death to be investigated as homicide
- Ranveer Singh goes gaga over Anushka Sharma!
- Shahid Kapoor reaches the 6 million mark on Twitter!
- Bombay High Court likely to hear Salman Khan's travel plea on Tuesday
- 'Peterson Hill' set relocated
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita Khan's wedding reception in Mandi
- Shield hair from monsoon humidity
- `Piku' crosses Rs 100 crore mark worldwide
- Aamir Khan visits Sonam Kapoor on the sets of 'Neerja'
- Rolling Stones kick off 'Zip Code' stadium tour in San Diego
- Flights of imagination: An aeronautical engineer as a famous novelist
- Comic book king Stan Lee to come out with graphic memoir
- Julianna Margulies to author children's picture book
- Unfinished memoirs of Orson Welles found
- Pamela Anderson to launch her photo book
- We are committed to fulfilling Dinkar ji's dreams: PM Modi
- Barbra Streisand's memoir to arrive in 2017
- Chelsea Clinton book 'It's Your World' coming
- British pianist wins right to publish memoirs of abuse
- Hungarian author wins Man Booker prize, edges out Amitav Ghosh
- William Shakespeare's real face appears in botany book
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened