Madonna`s Malawi charity facing financial crisis
London: Queen of Pop Madonna is facing fresh problems after her charity stopped providing funds to feed orphaned children.
The 52-year-old singer, who adopted two children from Malawi, had earlier set up an organisation called Raising Malawi to aid the residents of the poverty-stricken nation.
But the program which received support from Madonna`s charity fund is now suffering from financial crisis, reported Femalefirst.
The charity received a set-back earlier this year after Madonna`s plan to build a girl`s school in the African nation collapsed amid allegations of financial mismanagement, prompting Madonna to dissolve the foundation`s board of directors.
The head of a charity scheme in Malawi called Consol Homes Orphan Care,which feeds more than 24,000 children across the country, has claimed that the program is in jeopardy after money from Raising Malawi was stopped.
"Since July last year, no money has been sent and we have resorted to borrowing from the banks," said Elicy Chapomba, co-founder and head of operations at Consol.
However, Madonna`s publicist claims, "Simple financial procedures need to be put in place ensuring that cheques are authorized, disbursements are accounted for and financial documents and resources are handled by financial staff. Basic monitoring and evaluation of programs... is not implemented."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- We have a great news for MS Dhoni fans in Jharkhand! - Details inside
- Here's how to make your studio apartment look bigger
- Watch: Diljit Dosanjh's 'Do You Know' is so addictive you will play it on loop
- After 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil', Ranbir Kapoor and Anushka Sharma to join forces once again?
- Anna Hazare flaunts his swag on 'The Kapil Sharma Show', no kidding! - Pic inside