Need to bridge the gap between rich and poor: Ajay Devgn
New Delhi: National award-winning actor Ajay Devgn feels that our country is divided into the `haves` and `have-nots` and the gap between the two is rising with each passing day.
"There are two Indias - haves and have-nots. The country is divided into these two and the gap is widening every minute. The necessity of the hour is that the haves help the have-nots wriggle out of this situation," Devgn said.
"I can do something only through my work, through my movies. I can only hope the youngsters get the message," said the actor, whose political drama `Satyagraha` hit theatres today.
From being an action hero to playing intense characters, Devgn has always experimented with his roles and the 44-year-old actor is back with a new issue-based film, which he says is targeted to the youth.
"`Satyagraha` targets the youth of the country and will inspire them to channelise their anger in the right direction. It entertains you but at the same time, it leaves a deep impact in your mind. It is an emotional drama which leaves you with an optimistic, positive message," Devgn said.
"My character in the movie is of a corporate guy, a business tycoon who becomes a part of the Satyagraha movement after realising how corruption has become deep rooted in our society.
It reflects the uprising of the middle-class against an unjust system," said Devgn, who was in the capital.
The Prakash Jha directed film also stars megastar Amitabh Bachchan, Kareena Kapoor, Arjun Rampal, Manoj Bajpai and Amrita Rao.
Talking about his co-stars in the film, Devgn said," It's always a pleasure to work with Amitji. Kareena and I have worked earlier in two movies ('Omkara' and 'Golmaal 2'). Arjun was there in 'Rajneeti'. So, it's great working with them," he said.
Devgn's finest work to date was Mahesh Bhatt directed 1998 film "Zakhm" and the actor said the film and role continues to be close to to his heart.
"The character in 'Zakhm' is close to my heart. The issue was strong about the relationship between a son and mother against the backdrop of communal tension. I can remember I had asked Bhatt saab to let me feel the character and give my shots. Thankfully, the audience liked my performance," said Devgn about the movie which won him his first National award.
Devgn, who will be seen in Prabhudeva's next with Sonakshi Sinha and Yami Gautam, said he would soon be announcing more projects for his production house.
"We will soon come up with new projects. I am going through scripts and talking with directors," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'San Andreas' built to entertain, not traumatise: Director
- Azealia Banks to star in 'Coco'
- Look cool in denim during summer
- 'Amy' to premiere at Edinburgh Film Festival
- Piers Morgan returns to 'America's Got Talent' as guest
- Would love to work with Irrfan again: 'The Lunchbox' director
- Short films are stepping stone for any filmmaker: Vikas Bahl
- Kanye West almost killed while hiking
- No point in fighting ageing, says George Clooney
- Alia Bhatt turns vegetarian!
- 'San Andreas' to release in Hindi and English on May 29
- My ambition is to be honourable family man: Ranveer Singh
- Ranbir Kapoor is a fantastic actor: Aamir Khan
- Shahid Kapoor sleepless over marriage?
- Kriti finds Sonam, Deepika, Priyanka stylish
- I'm absolutely fine: Adah Sharma on accident rumour
- Daddy Akshay Kumar goes mango plucking for daughter
- Happy Birthday AbRam Khan!
- Adah Sharma meets with accident, hospitalised
- Watch: Ranveer Singh in 'Hunger Ki Bajao' video!
- See pics: Riteish, Genelia with their little bundle of joy 'Riaan'!
- See: Three generations of Bachchan 'parivar' in one frame!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow