Oprah, Rowling amongst World’s Richest Self-Made Women
Washington: US chat show queen Oprah Winfrey and Harry Potter author JK Rowling have made it to the list of World’s Richest Self- Made Women.
Also in the list was Giuliana Benetton, 72, who originally knitted sweaters that her brother Luciano would then sell on a bicycle.
Rosalia Mera, 66, helped then husband Amancio Ortega make dressing gowns and lingerie in their home.
Although they got divorced, she kept a stake in the now multibillion-dollar apparel maker Inditex, best known for its Zara stores.
Doris Fisher, 79, and her late husband Donald started what’s today known internationally as Gap – the global retailer in accessories and clothing line for men, women and children.
Others in the list, compiled by Forbes magazine, are as follows – depicted by the name, nationality, industry, and net worth in dollars.
1. Wu Yajun, Chinese, Property development, 3.9 billion
2. Rosalie Mera, Spanish, Clothing, 3.5 billion
3. Elena Baturina, Russian, Construction, 2.9 billion
4. Doris Fisher, American, Clothing, 2.4 billion
5. Xiu Li Hawken, UK citizen, property development, 2.4 billion
6. Oprah Winfrey, American, Media, 2.4 billion
7. Giulana Benetton, Italian, Clothing, 2.1 billion
8. Chu Lam Yiu, Chinese, Flavourings and fragrances, 2.1 billion
9. Zhang Xin, Chinese, property development, 2 billion
10. Yan Cheung, Chinese, Waste paper, 1.7 billion
11. Meg Whitman, American, Internet commerce, 1.3 billion
12. Chan Laiwa, Chinese, property development, 1.1 billion
13. Lei Jufang, Chinese, Medicines, 1.1 billion
14. J.K. Rowling, British, Books, 1 billion