Oprah Winfrey `survived brutal rape at age 9`
London: Oprah Winfrey, who made a career by encouraging people from the showbiz world to open up about their innermost thoughts and emotions, discussed her traumatic first-hand experience of child abuse during a chat with David Letterman on Monday.
Opening up as part of the David Letterman Distinguished Professional Lecture and Workshop Series in Muncie, Indiana, the 58-year-old star admitted that she not only survived a brutal rape at the age of nine, but constant episodes of sexual molestation between the ages of 10 and 14, as well as a series of physical abuse, the Daily Mail reported.
She explained that she had to believe in a “power greater than herself” to get through the ordeal and the experiences she suffered as a child inspired her need to empathise with people in her daily life.
“Everyone is looking for that validation. I know what it feels like to not be wanted... you can use it as a stepping stone to build great empathy for people,” the paper quoted her as saying.
“Anybody who has been verbally abused or physically abused will spend a great deal of their life rebuilding their esteem,” she said.
During the 90-minute interview, Winfrey also spoke about her beliefs and how they have helped her rise above life’s many challenges.
“I don’t believe you can go through adversity without believing in a power greater than yourself. Some may call it God,” she said.
“There are 1,000 different names for this power. But I know you cannot make it without that belief,” she added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bigg Boss, Day 47: Survival fight continues, inmates stumped by surprise exit!
- Tough times in India: Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra on intolerance row
- Response to 'Wazir' trailer makes Bejoy Nambiar 'ecstatic'
- Salman's 'Prem Ratan Dhan Payo' outraces lifetime earnings of '3 Idiots'
- Bigg Boss: Priya Malik to throw 'pee' on Kishwer in upcoming episode!
- We're going back to dark ages: Emraan Hashmi on film censorship
- Pooja Joshi of 'Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai' gets hitched to beau!
- Aamir Khan has every right to be worried, says Aparna Sen
- Everyone has right to an opinion, except a celebrity: Sonu Nigam
- Amitabh Bachchan reaches 18 mn followers on Twitter