Oprah Winfrey tops Forbes’ list of highest paid celebs
London: Oprah Winfrey’s talk show may have called it quits last year, but her earning and pulling power certainly hasn’t.
For the fourth year in a row, the talk show host is at the top of Forbes’ Highest-Paid Celebrities list, ABC News reported.
On May 25, 2011, she hosted the last episode of her syndicated talk show from Chicago.
Now that the show has ended, she has some close competition on her heels, beating the second highest-paid celebrity by only 5 million dollars, and earning 125 million dollars less than a year ago.
“Although the show ended it was still in reruns, so she still got some money from it,” Forbes’ Los Angeles bureau chief, Dorothy Pomerantz said.
Most of her money is now coming from the rest of her empire, which includes shows by Dr. Phil, Dr. Oz, and Rachel Ray, and a lucrative radio deal.
Her network has laid off employees as she leads with shows like ‘Oprah’s Lifeclass’ and ‘Oprah’s Next Chapter.’
“She’ll still continue to make a lot of money, but without the syndicated show, she’ll take a big hit,” Pomerantz said.
Michael Bay’s third Transformers film, ‘Transformers: Dark of the Moon’ may have been lambasted by critics, but it still earned about 1.1 billion dollars at the box office.
Pomerantz called Bay a “smart director” who made a “fantastic” deal with the film by getting a share of the profits, including a share of the toy sales.
The Bumblebee character in movie, for example, was created for the film.
“Some of the money from every Bumblebee sale is going into Michael Bay’s pocket,” she said.
With two Oscar-nominated films in theaters last year, ‘War Horse’ and ‘The Adventures of Tintin,’ director Steven Spielberg has proven time and time again he still has an eye for critically-acclaimed movie hits.
Forbes said that Spielberg is likely going to return to their list next year with two other films, ‘Lincoln’ starring Daniel Day-Lewis, and ‘Robopocolypse,’ a sci-fi thriller based on the book by Daniel Wilson.
“Spielberg is a ‘perennial’ toward the top of our list,” Pomerantz said.
The director, who receives tens of millions of dollars each year from residuals from his past hit films, also served as a consultant for the Universal Theme Parks, so gets a share of ticket sales.
Jerry Bruckheimer made waves last year with the ‘Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides,’ the fourth installment of Disney’s film series and one of the highest-grossing films in 2011, earning 1 billion dollars at the box office.
Bruckheimer is expected to reap in millions more with additional sequels, such as ‘Top Gun 2,’ ‘Bad Boys 3,’ ‘National Treasure 3,’ and additional ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ films.
Pomerantz calls Bruckehimer another perennially highly paid celebrity.
“The Pirates films are what’s keeping his earnings up really high now,” Pomerantz said.
Bruckheimer also has a large television empire, which includes the CSI series and ‘The Amazing Race.’
The only musician in Forbes’ top five list, Dr. Dre didn’t produce or write a hit song last year, but he did make millions from his line of headphones, Beats by Dre.
In August 2011, HTC Corp., Asia’s second-largest handset producer by market value, bought a 51 percent stake in Beat Electronics LLC for 300 million dollars.
As part of the deal, the Taiwanese company passed along 100 million dollars to co-founders Dr. Dre, whose legal name is Andre Romelle Young, and record label Interscope’s chairman Jimmy Iovine, who each owned about a third of the company.
After mega-hits like ‘Still D.R.E.’ from 2001 and producing for big-name rappers like Eminem and Snoop Dog, Dr. Dre announced he was taking a break from music last November.
“He makes plenty of money as a producer,” Pomerantz said.
“It’s all relative. From my point of view, he makes a ton of money as a producer, but not 100 million dollars,” she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 10 Things you should definitely do in a lifetime
- Lalit Sen to compose for new TV show
- Irrfan, Deepika took romance to new level: Sircar
- Will judge contestants on the basis of voice: Shaan
- Salman Khan arrives in Himachal Pradesh to attend Arpita's wedding reception
- Salma Hayek, Colin Farrell weigh in on selfies ban
- Jaden Smith to play Static Shock
- I always apologise for 'Batman and Robin': George Clooney
- Filmmaker Champak Banerjee to start new project soon
- Golshifteh Farahani's beauty is like poetry: Irrfan Khan
- Watch: Emraan Hashmi starrer 'Azhar' teaser unveiled
- Eva Longoria wants fitness empire
- Akshay Kumar to launch his clothing line
- Lady Gaga gets over 30 wedding dress sketches from top designers
- Ditch black for bold and bright this summer
- Style up in suede in spring, summer
- Kylie's lip fillers changed her confidence: Kim Kardashian
- Jane Fonda proud to be a fashion icon
- Fashion is not for everybody: Dolce and Gabbana
- Designer Monisha Jaising to enter e-commerce
- Sculpt your looks like Moore, N'yongo did at Cannes
- Keep neck jewellery light in summer
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla