Prateik Babbar goes underground; getting new image, voice coach
Mumbai: Smita Patil and Raj Babbar`s son Prateik is taking a long introspective sabbatical from the public eye until his next release "Isaaq", a North Indian take on Shakespeare`s "Romeo And Juliet", which would be the actor`s do-or-die bid to consolidate his precarious position as an eclipsed star son.
The decision, one hears, has been taken by the producers Viacom 18 who saw "Isaaq" and immediately decided to buy its worldwide distribution rights, apparently on condition that Prateik undertake an immediate crash course in career and image reinvention.
Another step in Prateik`s career recuperation is his voice. A Hindi voice-coach Sushil Bouthiyal with a solid background as a theatre artiste at the National School Of Drama has been employed to modulate his voice-quality.
On a more personal level, his over-hyped relationship with his "Ekk Deewana Tha" co-star Amy Jackson has been thrown out of the window. Apparently, Prateik has been "strictly advised" to stay away from romantic involvements and focus on his career.
Commenting upon the developments, "Isaaq" director Manish Tiwary said: "I`d really not like to comment on whatever happened in Prateik`s life and career. It`s all in the past. And he is looking at a new career for himself. Hopefully, `Isaaq` will mark the rebirth of Prateik as an actor. He is working hard on himself, his voice, image, and attitude everything."
Apparently Prakash Jha, in whose "Aarakshan" Prateik`s performance was patently panned, saw rushes of "Isaaq" and was jolted by the difference.
Tiwary, who made "Dil Dosti Etc" in 2007, said: "May be Prakashji wasn`t able to focus as much on Prateik`s performance as I have. `Aarakshan` had a huge cast. In my film, Prateik is the solo hero. I had to work on him from scratch."
Set in the backdrop of Varanasi, in Uttar Pradesh, "Isaaq" is an action drama.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rs 100 crore club for 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Vidya Balan turns down Suchitra Sen biopic
- Disney pulls plug on 'Tron 3'
- 21 European films to be screened in Kolkata
- Mamata Banerjee remembers Rituparno Ghosh as West Bengal's pride
- Iggy Azalea cancels tour
- 'Ishqedarriyaan' review: An oft-seen love story
- Chris Brown sometimes hated himself
- Emilia Clarke called 'Dragon Lady' in shops
- Kangana Ranaut inaugurates first Gap store in India
- Nicki Minaj particular about sex
- Of travel, history and a good measure of science
- No foul play in death of Chilean poet Neruda, researchers say
- Emoji, meme, photobomb, twerk among new Merriam-Webster words
- Scrapbook provides rare insight to India's cinema history
- Flights of imagination: An aeronautical engineer as a famous novelist
- Comic book king Stan Lee to come out with graphic memoir
- Julianna Margulies to author children's picture book
- Unfinished memoirs of Orson Welles found
- Pamela Anderson to launch her photo book
- We are committed to fulfilling Dinkar ji's dreams: PM Modi
- Barbra Streisand's memoir to arrive in 2017
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- DNA: World soccer rocked by Swiss arrests of FIFA officials for graft
- Bihar polls: Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- MHA notification: SC issues notice to Delhi govt
- Special: The UP village where religion does not preach hatred
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- US formally removes Cuba from terror blacklist in landmark move
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be announced today at 10:30 AM
- Log on to ahsec.nic.in: AHSEC 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Maggi noodles controversy: Case to be filed against Nestle in UP today
- Monsoon likely to hit Kerala next week; heatwave death toll climbs to 2,005