President confers Padma awards
New Delhi: Yesteryear actor Waheeda Rahman, singer S P Balasubrahmanyam, music composer Khayyam, former diplomat Brajesh Mishra and pioneer of the test tube baby in India Indira Hinduja were among a host of distinguished people conferred with the coveted Padma awards in New Delhi on Thursday evening. Pr esident Pratibha Patil gave away the Padma awards at a function attended by Vice President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi, several Union Ministers and a host of dignitaries at the majestic Ashoka Hall of Rashtrapati Bhawan.
Former governor A R Kidwai, litterateur O N V Kurup, Brajesh Mishra and eminent scholar Kapila Vatsyayan were conferred with the Padma Vibhushan, the country`s second highest civilian award.
Singer S P Balasubrahmanyam, former bureaucrat Mahesh Nikanth Buch, Bharatnatyam exponent C V Chandrasekhar, actor Waheeda Rahman, industrialist Y C Deveshwar, prolific Bangla writer Sankha Ghosh, kathakali dancer Madavoor Vasudevan Nair, senior scientist S Ramachandran, social worker Shobhana Ranade were among the Padma Bhushan awardees.
Entrepreneurs G V K Reddy and Analjit Singh, former civil servant Surendra Singh, legendary Carnatic music exponent Rudrapatna Krishna Sastry Srikantan and music composer Khyyam were the other Padma Bhushan awardees honoured today.
Ayurveda practitioner K Raghavan Thirumulpad was conferred the Padma Bhushan posthumously. His son received the award.
Among the Padma Shri awardees were philanthropist Mamraj Agarwala, educationist Rafeeque Ahmed Mecca, space scientist M Annamalai, social worker Jockin Aruptham, health activist Pukhraj Bafna, pioneer of the Lasik eye surgery Mani Bhaumik, publisher of women`s writing Urvashi Butalia, popular classical vocalist Ajoy Chakravarthy.
Social activist Nomita Shipra Chandy, theatre artist Neelam Mansingh Chowdhry, creative writer Pravin Darji, Rajasthani poet and critic Chandra Prakash Deval, distinguished Madhubani painter Mahasundari Devi, weightlifter N Kunjarani Devi, eminent archaeologist Madhukar Dhavlikar, innovative handloom weaver Ganjam Govardhana were also among the Padma Shri awardees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Simon Cowell shares cute pic with son on Twitter
- Milla Jovovich has daughter baptized
- Legendary actor Omar Sharif suffering from Alzheimer's disease
- I've no regrets over sexist lyrics: Snoop Dogg
- Gary Barlow sings at fan's wedding
- Lena Headey reveals second baby gender
- Blake Lively calls Ryan Reynolds 'hypocrite'
- Josh Duggar cancels Ohio appearance amid child molestation scandal
- Kanye West is a bit eccentric: Paul Mccartney
- Colin Farrell praises Ireland voters for legalising gay marriage
- Ageism in Hollywood is alive and well: Jane Fonda
- Vanessa Hudgens suffering from tendinitis
- Shah Rukh Khan undergoes knee surgery, advised rest
- Gul Panag launches fitness app in Mumbai
- Michelle Obama packs a punch, accepts workout challenge
- Want to lose weight? Eat little, but often
- Tom Hardy reveals painful drug-addled past
- Portia De Rossi opens up about early struggle with bulimia, anorexia
- Tanuja, daughters create breast cancer awareness
- Meditation should be part of school curriculum: Shoojit Sircar
- Zoe Saldana has banished 'diet'
- Mandira Bedi turns fitness guru
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25
- Iraq regains ground from Islamic State; mass deaths reported in Palmyra
- Megresults.nic.in & Mbose.in Tura 12th HSSLC Arts Results 2015: Meghalaya Board HSSLC 12th Class Arts Board Exam Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Megresults.nic.in & Mbose.in Tura 10th SSLC Results 2015: Meghalaya Board SSLC 10th Class Board Exam Results 2015 to be announced today shortly