Rituparno Ghosh`s death leaves Kolkata shocked
Kolkata: A pall of gloom descended on the eastern metropolis Thursday as it woke up to a morning shocker - the sudden demise of National Award winning filmmaker Rituparno Ghosh following a cardiac arrest.
Ghosh was suffering from pancreatitis and died of cardiac arrest at his residence around 7.30 a.m., said sources. He was 49.
Members of the entertainment and film fraternity gathered at his residence in southern Kolkata as news of his death spread.
Braving a downpour, thousands thronged Ghosh`s residence to catch a last glimpse of the director. Fans were seen wiping their tears off as news of his demise was confirmed.
Thousands scrambled to follow the van that carried his body (suited up in his customary turban and kurta) in a glass coffin, to be placed at the state-run theatre Nandan till 6 p.m.
A mixed crowd of celebrities and the public walked side by side, following the hearse, in bereavement.
Later, his body will be taken to the technician`s studio in Tollygunge and his last rites will be performed.
Heaps of garlands and floral offerings were strewn on and around the coffin as the ever-increasing procession led to a traffic snarl at south Kolkata`s Prince Anwar Shah Road.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee rushed to his residence. "Rituparno`s comparison is only Rituparno. Bengal has lost a golden man of golden era," said Banerjee, deeply mourning his death.
Banerjee was flanked by teary-eyed filmmaker Goutam Ghose and Bengali actor Prosenjit.
Dubbed as the pioneer in reviving Bengali cinema, Ghosh`s films won 12 National Awards. Besides claiming the honours at national film festivals, Ghosh got acclaim for his acting in movies like "Memories in March", and wrote scripts, which were hailed by the critics.
Born Aug 31, 1963, in Kolkata, Ghosh started his career in the world of advertisements, and shifted to celluloid in 1992 with the Bengali movie ‘Hirer Angti’.
He shot into prominence with the 1994 offering ‘Unishe April’, and then went on to make films like "Dahan", "Bariwali", "Asukh", "Utsab", "Shubho Mahurat", "Chokher Bali", "Dosar", "Shob Charitro Kalponik" and "Abohoman". He made Hindi movies "Raincoat" and "Sunglass", and his only English movie was Amitabh Bachchan-starrer "The Last Lear".
The filmmaker`s last release "Chitrangada" (2012), where he also acted, won a special jury honour at the 60th National Film Awards.
A shocked Indian entertainment industry poured its heart out on Twitter lamenting the colossal loss.
Actress Raima Sen, who had worked with Ghosh for the first time in "Chokher Bali" in 2003, posted: "Am in Mumbai and we all are going to Kolkata. It`s a shock for the entire film industry, specially for Bengali film industry. We all are going to his house."
Konkona Sensharma, who had worked in Ghosh`s "Dosar", tweeted: "Rituparno Ghosh, 1963 - 2013. We will remember you. We will miss you."
Designer Sarbari Dutta, who designed his outfits for the National Film Awards ceremonies, said Ghosh was a "very sweet" and "affectionate" person who used to spend a lot of time at Dutta`s residence discussing fashion.
Thespian Soumitra Chatterjee found it difficult to accept Ghosh`s untimely death.
"Really, I cannot believe he is no more. We have lost one of our most promising film directors."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dubai takes Anil Kapoor's heart away
- Saif, Kareena off to Maldives for family vacation
- Farhan, 'Dil Dhadakne Do' team, to meet Milkha Singh
- 'P Se PM Tak' movie review- Long and uninspiring journey
- Pertinent to build toilets than temples or mosques: Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra
- Levine's throat problem cancels 'Maroon 5' concert
- 'Empire' season 2 returns in September
- Vin Diesel shares 'Fast and Furious 8' unofficial poster
- Film fests good for spotlight: Budding Assamese filmmaker
- Documentary on A R Rahman screened at White House
- 'Baahubali' trailer to be out on June 1
- Cara Delevingne poses topless for jewellery ad
- I quite like being naked: Miranda Kerr
- Men watching porn less likely to enjoy sex with real-life partners
- December 11 is the most popular day of the year to conceive
- Now have 'aquagasm' with new 'shower' sex toy
- Gisele Bundchen goes topless again
- Jessica Simpson poses in seductive way on Instagram
- Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian poses nude
- Secret behind Kim K's nude photoshoot revealed
- Jennifer Lawrence draws eyeballs in new photo shoot
- Keira Knightley will go topless, but on condition
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- DNA: World soccer rocked by Swiss arrests of FIFA officials for graft
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Check out: Salman Khan goes across the border in 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' teaser
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- Baal nahi ball ko dekho: Sachin Tendulkar's tip to tackle Lasith Malinga
- Waiting for Jaypee to come back to me on Indian GP's return in 2016: Bernie Ecclestone