Salman hit-and-run case: Witness offered 5 lakh bribe
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Trouble seems to be pouring on Salman Khan with accusations from all sides. After the witnesses claimed that they had received death threats, fresh allegations have been made that they had been asked to take a bribe to back away from the superstar`s ill famed case.
One of the key witnesses in the 2002 hit-and-run case involving the superstar has allegedly received "threat" calls asking him to accept Rs five lakh for "staying away" from the case, police said today.
The witness, Muslim Shaikh, received two phone calls on Sunday night from an unidentified person who asked him to accept Rs five lakh and keep away from the case, a police officer told PTI.
After the incident was brought forward, the court asked the police to conduct an inquiry and submit a report before it on May 19.
"The unidentified caller told the witness that `paanch lakh le lo aur bhag jao` (take Rs five lakh and run away)," said a police officer.
Shaikh was called up again and again even though he repeatedly disconnected the call, the officer added.
"Preliminary inquiry suggested the unidentified caller could (be) a lawyer," police sources said without divulging specific details.
Earlier on Tuesday, the key witnesses, who had been the injured during the fateful night of September 28, 2002, identified Salman as getting down from the car after the incident in which two were killed.
During cross-examination, Salman's lawyer Srikant Shivade alleged that the witnesses were tutored by police to say they had seen Salman getting down from the car.
However, the witnesses dismissed Shivade's argument.
They also described as "false" the allegations levelled by the defence lawyer that they had implicated Salman only because police told them they would get a huge compensation if they named him.
One of the witnesses Muslim Shaikh was confronted with his earlier statement of 2006 made before a magistrate wherein he had not stated a word about Salman getting down from the car.
To this, Shaikh replied he had told the magistrate about Salman coming out of the car, but could not say why that part was not recorded in his statement recorded by the court.
Shaikh said he had told the magistrate that Salman had alighted from the car and was held by people until his police bodyguard (Ravindra Patil) intervened and requested them to release him. However, Shaikh was not able to explain why this does not find a mention in his statement given to magistrate earlier.
To a question by Salman's lawyer, the witness said, "It is not correct to say that I had not seen anyone getting down from the car".
The lawyer told the court that this question was put to the witness because he had not told the magistrate earlier about Salman getting down from the car and is saying this for the first time today in trial court.
Shaikh denied allegations that he was not aware about Salman's presence at the site of accident and was told later by police that the actor was driving the car.
Another witness, Mohammed Kalim Iqbal Pathan, said he saw Salman getting down from the right side of the car and identified him in the court.
In the cross-examination, the witness said he had not read about the mishap in newspapers but heard people saying that the actor was involved.
The third witness Manu Khan also identified Salman as the person who had alighted from the car.
Khan said he was aware that some cars have steering wheel on the left side and others on the right, but could not remember the side where the steering wheel of the car involved in the mishap was located.
The witness said he could not remember from which side Salman got down from the vehicle.
Lawyers, law students and members of general public had gathered in large numbers in the court to have a glimpse of the film star.
According to the prosecution, the actor had run over his Toyota Land Cruiser on a group of persons sleeping on a footpath outside a bakery in suburban Bandra, killing one and injuring four others, on September 28, 2002.
On December 5 last year, the court had ordered a fresh trial on the ground that the witnesses had not been examined in the context of aggravated charge of culpable homicide not amounting to murder, which was invoked against the actor midway through the case.
The charge of culpable homicide not amounting to murder attracts a 10-year sentence. The actor had earlier been tried by a magistrate for a lesser offence of causing death by negligence, which entailed an imprisonment of two years.
The case, dragging on for over a decade, had taken a twist earlier this year when the magistrate, after examining 17 witnesses, held that the charge of culpable homicide not amounting to murder was made out against Salman and referred the matter to a sessions court, as cases under this offence are tried by a higher court.
(With Agency Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Remo D’Souza is now on Twitter!
- Jacqueline Fernandez in love with Salman Khan’s eyes
- Salman Khan to tweet in Hindi, Urdu
- Check out: Shah Rukh Khan, AbRam’s selfie
- 'The Spectacular Jihad...' inspired by 9/11 attacks
- Jackie Chan opens acting school in China
- I’ve fallen in love with acting, says Lauren Gottlieb
- Pulkit Samrat 'can't wait' to watch 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- History lessons for 'Gour Hari Dastaan' cast
- Shakti Kapoor to play crazy professor in upcoming film
- Playing Kashibai emotionally draining for Priyanka Chopra
- Piers Morgan returns to 'America's Got Talent' as guest
- Netflix renews 'Grace And Frankie' for season two
- Zayn Malik may make 'X Factor' comeback as judge
- 'Supergirl' pilot leaks online six months before schedule
- Kapil Sharma celebrates two years of CNWK with ‘ABCD 2’ team
- New York `Mad Men` exhibition extends to September 6
- Newcomer Monica Sehgal gets taste of her popularity
- Ashish Juneja to enter 'Itna Karo Na Mujhe Pyar'
- `New Girl` actor Max Greenfield roped in for `American Horror Story: Hotel`
- 'American Idol' Carrie Underwood thanks show for stardom
- Indian-American first vegetarian contestant on 'MasterChef US'
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark