Salman Khan gets temporary reprieve in hit-and-run case; hearing deferred till April 8
Mumbai: The Mumbai Sessions court Monday postponed the hearing of Bollywood actor Salman Khan on the 2002 hit-and-run case to April 08.
Salman did not appear in person before the Court as reports said he did not receive the summons.
He arrived from the USA Saturday night and it was earlier reported that Salman would appear before the Court today.
The case came up for the first time before the Sessions Court after a Magistrate transferred the matter to that Court by charging the 47-year-old actor with a more serious charge of culpable homicide not amounting to murder`.
Earlier, the Magistrate had asked Salman to appear before the Sessions Court on March 11, 2013, but he did not go to the court that day as the case was yet to be assigned to any judge.
Sources said as there would be a fresh trial, evidence produced before the Magistrate`s court would not be considered and prosecution may have to adduce evidence afresh.
One person was killed and four injured when a Land Cruiser, allegedly driven by Salman, ran over people sleeping on pavement outside a bakery in suburban Bandra in the wee hours of September 28, 2002.
On March 08, 2013, advocate Ashok Mundargi, Salman’s lawyer, had urged the Sessions Court to hear the main case against the actor and his appeal against Magistrate’s order invoking the charge of `culpable homicide not amounting to murder’ (Section 304 part II of IPC) simultaneously.
The trial before the Magistrate was proceeding on the lesser charge of ‘causing death by negligence’ (Section 304 A of Indian Penal Code), which attracts maximum punishment of two years in jail.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Daddy Akshay Kumar goes mango plucking for daughter
- Demi Moore, daughter look identical in new image
- When Martin Sheen felt 'powerless'
- Happy Birthday AbRam Khan!
- Zayn Malik spends 'a lot of time in kitchen'
- Adah Sharma meets with accident, hospitalised
- Check out: First look of Salman Khan in`Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Watch: Ranveer Singh in 'Hunger Ki Bajao' video!
- See pics: Riteish, Genelia with their little bundle of joy 'Riaan'!
- See: Three generations of Bachchan 'parivar' in one frame!
- Check out: Amitabh Bachchan tweets 'Piku' key chain!
- Doubt Zayn and I will get married this summer: Perrie Edwards
- Paltrow, Chris Martin attend Memorial Day bash together
- If you're 28, it doesn't mean you've to get married: Kangana Ranaut
- Katy Perry doesn't want to talk about ex-husband Russell Brand
- Lewis Hamilton, Gigi Hadid dating?
- Rebel Wilson sparks Mickey Gooch Jr dating rumors
- Emma Stone, Andrew Garfield hold hands post split
- Bradley Cooper, Irina Shayk getting serious?
- I was on my knees for 28 minutes to propose Amal: Clooney
- I fell for my boyfriend Justin Long on Instagram: Seyfried
- I want my husband to see me strong: Celine Dion
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes