Sonu Nigam receives threat calls from the underworld

Last Updated: Thursday, October 3, 2013 - 10:51

Zee Media Bureau

Mumbai: Sonu Nigam has lodged a complaint with the police after he received threat calls from the underworld, a news channel reported.

The playback singer, who has been in the film industry for over two decades, has been reportedly threatened by Chhota Shakeel, a member of India’s most wanted man Dawood Ibrahim’s gang.

He has told senior police officers that Shakeel made multiple calls and sent several texts last month asking him to cancel his deal with an event management company and sign up with another the don has chosen. The firm is handling his world tour next year.

Shakeel threatened Nigam that if he did not comply, his image will be maligned by 'exposing' his friendship with an influential woman from a prominent family in Mumbai.

Niigaam is out of the city on a scheduled programme and has not yet recorded his detailed statement or filed an FIR, said an officer. But a report mentioning the threat to Niigaam has been prepared and sent to departments concerned. It's also been decided to provide him police protection.

"The gangster recommended a person's name and wanted Niigaam to organize the (world tour) concerts through him. We have asked Niigaam to provide all the details and register an FIR. He is busy and we expect him to visit us soon," said a senior Crime Branch officer.

Recently, producers Boney Kapoor and Karan Johar too had filed complaints with the Mumbai police after receiving threat calls from the underworld.

Pic courtesy: @sonuniigaam




comments powered by Disqus