Mumbai: It was a dramatic day for Indian cricket and Shah Rukh Khan fans. The nation woke up to the news of the superstar being banned for life from Mumbai’s Wankhede Stadium for misconduct. However, IPL chairman Rajeev Shukla later clarified that no decision has been taken on the same.
Members of the Maharashtra Cricket Association alleged that SRK got into a scuffle with them and the guards at the stadium on Wednesday night when the actor was not permitted to enter the grounds. Abuses were hurled by both the parties and the police had to be called in to stop the fight.
Mumbai Police on Thursday registered a non-cognisable offence against Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan and three others in connection with an alleged fracas involving them and the officials of the Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) at Wankhede Stadium.
The NC was registered at Marine Drive police station after a complaint was filed against Shah Rukh and others by Vikas Dalvi, the security guard posted at the Wankhede Stadium, who was allegedly manhandled by the actor, an IPS officer told reporters.
Earlier in the day, MCA Joint Secretary Nitin Dalal moved the Marine Drive police against Shah Rukh, also co-owner of Kolkata Knight Riders, and others in connection with the incident.
"Khan and his three associates were booked under IPC sections 323 (punishment for voluntarily causing hurt) and 506 (punishment for criminal intimidation)," the officer added.
On Thursday morning, while addressing the media, MCA officials gave their version of the incident and claimed that the actor was drunk the night before. Police claimed that inquiry was on and till then the actor was banned from Wankhede stadium.
Later in the day SRK addressed the media and denied being drunk. The actor admitted that he had abused but he was provoked.
“There were kids who came to see the match and the guards manhandled little girls. When I reacted, they acted very rude. There was a this short man with glasses who was constantly misbehaving. He said something which I feel is absolutely unacceptable in today’s age and time and it was then that I reacted” said SRK.
The actor was also adamant that the guards had manhandled little girls and that MCA should be apologizing to the actor.
SRK said, “I was not drunk and I did not abuse any lady as is being reported by the media. I am an actor and I would never misbehave with the audience.”
Soon after, MCA lashed out at the star and stated that the actor was using his children’s name to gain sympathy.
An FIR has been lodged against the actor and the Morani brothers for public misconduct.
First Published: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 21:04