From director to actor, role reversal is in
Mumbai: From behind the camera to in front of it, all for the love of cinema. Indian directors are increasingly donning the greasepaint and taking on roles for a friend`s film or just to satisfy that creative urge - mostly to great success.
Multi-tasking is in. And how. Tigmanshu Dhulia of `Paan Singh Tomar` fame made a successful debut as an actor in Anurag Kashyap`s hit two-part saga `Gangs of Wasseypur`. Anurag, in turn, played the sexually abusive stepfather in Onir`s critically acclaimed `I AM`.
Writer-director Amol Gupte stepped in front of the camera for Vishal Bharadwaj`s `Kaminey`, most effective as the menacing villain, and Farah Khan did so too with the main role in the romcom `Shirin Farhad Ki Toh Nikal Padi`.
Not to forget Farhan Akhtar who turned actor with National Award winning film `Rock On!!` after directing hits "Dil Chahta Hai" and "Don - The Chase Begins Again" and hasn`t looked back since.
From playing side roles to lead characters, they are doing it all.
In Tigmanshu`s view, the awareness about the nuances of acting makes directors a better option.
"If a director feels that another director suits a character, then why not? Even though as a director, you don`t act, but you are aware of how it is done. So obviously it becomes easier for you. It is better than taking a newcomer who is completely unaware of how it`s done," Tigmanshu told reporters.
Not many know that Tigmanshu trained as an actor at the National School of Drama (NSD) and returned to acting almost after 20 years.
"I specialised in acting. I was acting after 20 years; so that was a little difficult. But I was under no pressure," he said.
That Anurag was a friend helped. "I was very comfortable with Anurag. He is a good friend of mine."
Farah, director of hits like `Main Hoon Na` and `Om Shanti Om`, says she enjoyed her acting stint in Bela Sehgal`s film.
"At first, I thought both Sanjay (Leela Bhansali) and Bela were pulling my leg, and the moment I would say yes, they would come out with their joke. I thought they had approached me to choreograph a song. I never thought in my weirdest dreams that they would offer me a role."
But it was a reality and what fascinated Farah was the script as she was able to relate to certain parts of the film.
"As the film was being produced by Sanjay, I was sure that it would be aesthetically done instead of being a tacky, cheap film. It also happens to be Bela`s passion project. So I thought let`s give it a shot; who gets a chance such as this otherwise? It`s still surreal for me," said Farah.
While Farah and Tigmanshu clearly enjoyed their acting stint, Anurag has a different story to tell.
"The films I acted in happened a long time ago. I only take up acting when I feel I can do the part. I have been an actor and I was fascinated with acting but not any more. I am better at making films than acting, but still there are a lot of things to learn," he said.
In the past too directors like Nagesh Kukunoor tried their hand at acting. He was seen in his directorial debut `Hyderabad Blues` and Sudhir Mishra acted in `Traffic Signal` and `Raat Gayi Baat Gayi`.
For some, the acting bug has bitten in earnest.
Farhan, who has been acting in many films, will be seen next in the title role in `Bhag Milkha Bhag` and will romance Vidya Balan in `Shaadi Ke Side Effects`, a sequel to `Pyaar Ke Side Effects`.
Prawal Raman`s `404` saw Nishikant Kamat, who directed `Force`, showing his acting skills. He will be acting in Rohit Jugraj`s next film.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amal Clooney wants to be on Vogue's cover
- Kanye West's marriage will last 'forever', says stepmom
- Model-actress Kelly Brook planning family
- Chelsea Handler goes topless in Bahamas
- Khloe Kardashian, Rick Fox spark dating rumours
- 'Mission Impossible 6' already in developement
- Richa Chaddha's 'Masaan' wins Fipresci award at Cannes
- My mom, wife worried about my health: Aamir Khan
- Found my inspiration from a 'besura' singer: Harmeet Singh
- Always had Irrfan, Amitabh Bachchan in mind for 'Piku': Sircar
- Richa Chaddha extends Cannes trip for 'detox'
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Sharon Osbourne taking month long break form 'The Talk'
- 'Supergirl' won't have cross over with 'Arrow' and 'The Flash'
- Time has come to quit 'Doctors': Ian Kelsey
- Nick Nolte to play disgraced US president in new series
- 'Heroes Reborn' brings back Greg Grunberg
- Marvel's 'Empire of the Dead' to be adapted for TV
- Divyanka Tripathi intimidates her fans
- 'Indian Idol Junior' sets ball rolling with Bollywood music
- Boman Irani, Sonu Sood to share relationship secrets on Farah Khan's show
- Ahsaan Qureshi in talks for 'Tu Mera Hero'?
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh