The saga of survival of Sanjay Dutt
There are very few actors in Bollywood, who have stood the test of time. They have been written off time and again but have managed to come back with a bang. Sanjay Dutt is one such personality, whose life can be encapsulated in the proverbial term - ‘rise of the phoenix’.
As the prolific actor prepares to celebrate his birthday coming July 29, here is an opportunity to salute Sanju ‘Baba’ (as fondly known in the industry) for the eventful life he has had so far.
Perhaps, the most tormented of all celebrities in the industry, Sanjay is the original comeback specialist. Nothing can keep him down and out for too long. The ill-fated actor seems to have come a full circle. Drugs, bomb blast accusations, failed marriage and personal tragedies - the harrowing list is never ending.
Born to illustrious parents, the late Sunil Dutt and Nargis Dutt, Sanjay was brought up in the glamour oozing city of Mumbai. However, Sanju was not among those star sons, who liked to take things on a golden plate, rather he wanted to carve his own niche in the industry.
His beloved mother Nargis passed away only four days prior to the release of his first movie, ‘Rocky’. After his mother’s death Sanjay`s personal life took a turn for the worse and he took to booze and drugs.
Meanwhile, media took potshots at the so called ‘rich spoilt boy’. Journos were ruthless and kept printing stories of how his mother Nargis` ill health worsened due to her son`s drug addiction. They also criticised him as an actor, although in ‘Naam’ and ‘Sadak’ he had proved his mettle as an actor. Sanjay, who was already depressed, further got involved in drug addiction. His addiction began to affect his career too. Sanjay was being considered for the film ‘Hero’, but Subhash Ghai opted not to cast him due to his drugs problem and roped in Jackie Shroff instead.
|Click here for Profile|
Worried about his son, Sunil Dutt sent Sanjay to a drug rehabilitation centre in America. After his return, the actor found love in an upcoming actress, Richa Sharma. They got married and Sanjay was happy for a short period of time. It was during this time that his lovely daughter Trishala was born. But soon he was struck by another blow when his wife Richa was diagnosed with cancer. But he braved the bereavement courageously and let life take its course.
Then came the TADA case, which shook his life. He was booked under law for terrorist interactions, and supposed weapons possession, on 19 April 1993 and was arrested under the Terrorist and Disruptive Activities Act. During this period, the actor had to frequent courts. Sanjay was also living in constant angst and fear of being jailed as he had already been behind the bars following the release of ‘Khalnayak’ on charges of possession of illegal arms. Finally on 31st July 2007, Sanjay Dutt`s worst nightmare became a reality and he was again sentenced to six years imprisonment for his role in the 1993 bomb blast case. Sanjay kept a brave face and was supported by his family and his loved ones as well as the entire film fraternity.
At a time when his professional obituary was written most enthusiastically by critics, he strode right back.
Dutt acted in many films, and became a huge hit in 1999 with the hit film ‘Vaastav: The Reality’.
In the midst of case hearings and subsequent appearances in the court, Dutt continued with his acting and gave many successful films such as ‘Mission Kashmir’, ‘Jodi No.1’, ‘Kaante’, ‘Munna Bhai M.B.B.S’, ‘Lage Raho Munna Bhai’, ‘Shootout at Lokhandwala’, ‘Dhamaal’, and ‘All The Best: Fun Begins’.
Despite all odds, Sanjay Dutt has bounced back, with courage and conviction. From a ‘Rocky’ in 1981 to ‘Lamhaa’ in 2010 - it’s been a long eventful journey. “I have matured a lot over the years, but essentially, I haven’t changed at all,” is how he puts it.
Recently, it’s rumoured that Sanjay Dutt has lost 24 kg for his upcoming action pack ‘Knockout’. Dutt not only lost weight to perform the thrilling stunts in the movie but also because he had to work with a girl half his age, Kangna Ranaut. The actor also loves to experiment with his looks and his style keeps changing with time. Dutt`s fans have great expectations from this movie as well as other upcoming films.
May he have a happy life and a long successful career for he certainly has a lot of acting left in him.
Reflecting on his successful yet ‘rocky’ journey, Sanjay says, “I have made several decisions from my heart. Many of these emotional decisions, I will regret till my last breath, some I will cherish forever.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- U2 dedicate pride song to gay marriage voters in Ireland
- Naomi Campbell celebrates 45th birthday in Cannes
- Actress-comedian Anne Meara dies
- 'Tomorrowland' tops North American box office
- Bollywood wishes love to Karan Johar on his birthday
- Nandita Das on Cannes recce to find producers for film on Manto
- Happy Birthday to the masterly Karan Johar!
- Anupam Kher rejoices 31 years in Bollywood
- Bollywood chants 'Mumbai Mumbai' as Mumbai Indians lift IPL crown
- First Look: Striking and suave Irrfan Khan in 'Jazbaa'
- Simon Cowell shares cute pic with son on Twitter
- Rebel Wilson sparks Mickey Gooch Jr dating rumors
- Emma Stone, Andrew Garfield hold hands post split
- Bradley Cooper, Irina Shayk getting serious?
- I was on my knees for 28 minutes to propose Amal: Clooney
- I fell for my boyfriend Justin Long on Instagram: Seyfried
- I want my husband to see me strong: Celine Dion
- Bieber goes hiking with model Jayde Pierce
- Irina Shayk dumped Cristiano Ronaldo for cheating on her
- Geri Halliwell marries F1 boss Christian Horner
- Ian and Nikki's wedding was beautiful: Nina Dobrev
- David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson share kiss at music gig
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG