Australian designer creates sari for Vidya Balan
Mumbai: Actress Vidya Balan has become Bollywood`s quintessential ambassador of the sari, and when an Australian designer was asked to create an ensemble for her, she couldn`t think beyond the six-yard wonder either.
As part of the Indian Film Festival of Melbourne 2014, festival ambassador Vidya did a photoshoot with celebrated Australian designer Susan Dimasi.
Dimasi presented Vidya in a special sari, the fabric of which was specially designed by her. The sari was the result of handweaving a textile with silk ribbon through a rubber net.
The handwoven textile was exhibited at the prestigious Melbourne Now arts exhibition at the iconic National Gallery of Victoria and then draped on Vidya as a sari, said a statement.
Apart from Dimasi, Akira Isogawa, a prominent contemporary designer, was given a chance to dress the acclaimed actress.
Isogawa, who has even dressed Cate Blanchett in the past, created a special dress for Vidya. It was a fusion of his Japanese roots and Australian chic.
The Indian Film Festival of Melbourne runs from May 1 to May 11, screening over 45 films with over 30 Australian premieres. The festival will be opened by the legendary Amitabh Bachchan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Awwdorable photo alert! Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput and her baby bump
- Funny video alert! Nana Patekar’s ‘Beat Pe Booty’ mashup is hilarious
- Cara Delevingne, Amber Heard turned away from strip club
- India’s Deepika Padukone makes it to 2016’s world`s highest-paid actress list
- Krishna Pushkaram concludes with 'Pavitra Harathi'
- Here’s how you can give your traditional wardrobe a fusion look
- Anamika Khanna weaves romance at India Couture Week
- India Couture Week: Anita Dongre brings couture for 'bride on the go'
- Immensely proud and ecstatic, says Rohit Khandelwal, first Indian to win Mr World title
- Tips to accessorise your ‘office look’ sensibly