Burger King under fire for `racist` Mary J Blige fried chicken ad
Melbourne: A Burger King ad which shows Mary J Blige singing about fried chicken has been pulled out for pushing racial stereotypes.
The fast food joint, which is losing out to rivals, hired Salma Hayek, Jay Leno, David Beckham and Mary J. Blige to revive its fortunes.
The ads try to convince the public that famous people are just like them and enjoy eating burgers and drinking milk-shakes in Burger King restaurants.
However, the Blige spot, in which the rapper gets on top of a Burger King table and sings: “Crispy chicken, fresh lettuce, three cheeses, ranch dressing, wrapped up in a tasty flour tortilla”, has suffered a huge backlash.
Critics claim the ad plays into uncomfortable stereotypes by having a black woman sing about chicken.
One, Madame Noire, also hit out at Blige for doing the ad.
“You know what desperate execs do when they need to make money? They hurriedly throw together cliched, often stereotypical, advertising campaigns. And that’s where you came in, Mary,” News.com.au quoted the critic as saying.
“Having a black woman sing about chicken was no mistake. They’re trying to reach the ‘urban’ (aka black) demographic. And God knows black folk, won’t buy anything unless there’s a song, and preferably a dance, attached to it.
“You are the Queen of Hip Hop Soul, not a court jester for the so-called King of Burgers,” she said.
Muddying the issue was Burger King’s decision to pull the ad from its YouTube page soon after the backlash began.
In statement released after an uncomfortably long silence, Burger King said it pulled the ad due to a licensing issue and expected to have it back on air soon. It wouldn’t comment on whether the ad would remain the same.
However, Blige told TMZ: “I agreed to be a part of a fun and creative campaign that was supposed to feature a dream sequence. Unfortunately, that’s not what was happening in that clip.
“I understand my fans being upset by what they saw. But, if you’re a Mary fan, you have to know I would never allow an unfinished spot like the one you saw go out,” she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shraddha Kapoor breaks the style code in latest Harper's Bazaar cover! – See pic
- Monsoon getaway: Bigg Boss contestant Mandana Karimi rocks in white while holidaying in Goa- See pic
- Monsoon trouble for shoes? Best tips to save your footwear this rainy season
- 'Rustom': The re-invention of Akshay Kumar
- Milkha Singh launches 'Read India' initiative
- Tips to accessorise your ‘office look’ sensibly
- Kareena Kapoor Khan looks unapologetically sexy on the cover of Vogue India – See pic
- Nargis Fakhri looks smoking hot in this outfit with plunging neckline – See Pics
- Mother of 21 year-old twin sons - Urvashi Dholakia - defies age and how! See pics
- Priyanka Chopra sets the temperature soaring this monsoon – See sizzling hot pics