Dupattas are on way out: Shantanu-Nikhil
New Delhi: There was a time when dupatta was a must. Then came an era when it got a makeover and was used as scarf, stole or a veil. Now, dupattas are being replaced by layering by prominent designers.
Designer duo Shantanu and Nikhil Mehra say they focus on trying new patterns, cuts and layering.
"Dupattas are on a way out from the closet as contemporary young women no longer want to carry such ensemble and irritate themselves by tying it around their neck during party or events," Nikhil said.
"Anarkalis in new shapes, structures and patterns are the new entrants in style file. Short and floor length jackets with anarkali underneath are also a big trend. Lot of layering is happening nowadays," he added.
The designers, known to fuse east and west in their creations, showcased a collection titled - To Die For - at the opening day of India Bridal Fashion Week, Tuesday.
Their Collection was an ode to the woman of today.
"`To Die For` is more like a metaphor that I used for my collection. Brides today are very clear and practical. They know what they want. My collection serves those brides. This collection focuses on the soft and beautiful bride, who embraces everything feminine and dotes on chic and contemporary fashion," said Shantanu.
Their show started with models sashaying down on the ramp in soft pristine white ensembles like gowns, lehengas, mermaid dresses, anarkalis in dull gold floral embroidery work especially at the hems and borders.
Some of the pieces that grabbed the attention were the peplum tops over long skirts like lehengas in earthy colours.
The highlight of the ensemble was extensive use of soft flowy fabrics in earthy colours.
Shantanu-Nikhil feels that it`s essential to keep in mind the wearability factor even for important occasion like wedding or festivals and this is the reason why they always opt for "minimalist" designs.
"Shanatnu and Nikhil clothes are for a person who is practical, comfortable and clear about what he or she wants. Minimalism is very strong aspect of our designs. The reference of India as a vintage feel, which is made contemporary, is something that we love to do," said Nikhil.
The duo kept enough options for both men and women.
For men, sherwanis with soft but intricate gold work, dhoti pants teamed with sherwanis, deep red toga (short kurta teamed with similar colour fitted pajamis) were showcased.
Miss Canada, Sehar Biniaz, closed the show for the designer duo. Dressed in floor length evening gown in soft blush pink colour, which had an extensive use of French Chantilly lace in nude colour, she made an impressive style statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kabir Khan shows 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' teaser to fans
- Confirmed: Rekha exits 'Fitoor', Tabu steps in
- ‘Son of Sardaar’ Ajay Devgn grabs Diwali 2017 slot!
- Lindsay Lohan avoids jail with 125 hours of community service
- Rap mogul 'Suge' Knight refuses to attend L.A. court hearing
- Remo D’Souza is now on Twitter!
- Jacqueline Fernandez in love with Salman Khan’s eyes
- Salman Khan to tweet in Hindi, Urdu
- Check out: Shah Rukh Khan, AbRam’s selfie
- 'The Spectacular Jihad...' inspired by 9/11 attacks
- Jackie Chan opens acting school in China
- Katy Perry, John Mayer dating again?
- Nicki Minaj's rapper beau says not ready for marriage yet
- Kris Jenner encourages Kendall to date Lewis Hamilton?
- Doubt Zayn and I will get married this summer: Perrie Edwards
- Paltrow, Chris Martin attend Memorial Day bash together
- If you're 28, it doesn't mean you've to get married: Kangana Ranaut
- Katy Perry doesn't want to talk about ex-husband Russell Brand
- Lewis Hamilton, Gigi Hadid dating?
- Rebel Wilson sparks Mickey Gooch Jr dating rumors
- Emma Stone, Andrew Garfield hold hands post split
- Bradley Cooper, Irina Shayk getting serious?
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow