GQ magazine in race row over Sexiest Women List
London: The US edition of men`s magazine GQ has come under fire for including a series of race-specific categories for its `100 Sexiest Women of the 21st Century` list.
The poll for the magazine`s latest edition included categories like `Sexiest Chinese Chick`, `Sexiest Indian Chick` and `Sexiest Pregnant Sri Lankan`, reported Daily Mail.
Critics have slammed the glossy for suggesting some women "are only attractive in the context of their own ethnicity".
GQ, which stands for Gentleman`s Quarterly, published the list this week in its US edition with R&B superstar Beyonce emblazoned on the front cover under the title `Miss Millennium`.
`Slumdog Millionaire` star Freida Pinto was crowned `Hottest Indian Chick`, while `Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon` actress Zhang Ziyi was named `Hottest Chinese Chick`. They named British rapper M.I.A `Hottest Pregnant Sri Lankan`.
There is no mention of Beyonce`s African-American heritage, Mila Kunis` Ukranian roots or Kim Kardashian`s Armenian ancestry.
"By calling out certain women`s ethnicity and not others, what they`re implying is that these women are not beautiful simply because they`re beautiful; they`re only attractive within the context of their own ethnicity," said Professor Ruth C White, from Seattle University`s Department of Anthropology, Sociology, and Social Work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' breaks into Rs 100 crore club
- Vidya Balan turns down Suchitra Sen biopic
- Disney pulls plug on 'Tron 3'
- 21 European films to be screened in Kolkata
- Mamata Banerjee remembers Rituparno Ghosh as West Bengal's pride
- Iggy Azalea cancels tour
- 'Ishqedarriyaan' review: An oft-seen love story
- Chris Brown sometimes hated himself
- Emilia Clarke called 'Dragon Lady' in shops
- Kangana Ranaut inaugurates first Gap store in India
- Nicki Minaj particular about sex
- Iggy Azalea cancels tour
- Levine's throat problem cancels 'Maroon 5' concert
- Adele is going to be me in 40 years: Stevie Nicks
- Mother's death made me a musician: Bono
- Sonu Nigam teams up with Sandesh Shandilya for 'Chalk n Duster'
- 'Entourage' soundtrack out in June
- Getting perfect pitch possible for some adult musicians
- Taylor Swift concert wristband save three teenagers' lives
- Jason Derulo unveils new album
- Happy Mondays making music with tribes
- Musical tribute to Noor Jehan, but with a twist
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- MHA notification: SC issues notice to Delhi govt
- Railways may hike AC class fares from June 1, 2015
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 29, 2015
- Protests outside IIT-Madras against ban on students' group
- Special: Heart-wrenching tales of elderly people in old age homes
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Maggi noodles controversy: Case to be filed against Nestle in UP today
- US formally removes Cuba from terror blacklist in landmark move
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- Arrival of Monsoon over Kerala delayed by 2-3 days: Met Department
- Log on to ahsec.nic.in: AHSEC 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Govt committed to One Rank, One Pension: PM Narendra Modi
- If Congress was pro-poor, why does poverty still exist in India, asks PM Narendra Modi