GQ magazine in race row over Sexiest Women List
London: The US edition of men`s magazine GQ has come under fire for including a series of race-specific categories for its `100 Sexiest Women of the 21st Century` list.
The poll for the magazine`s latest edition included categories like `Sexiest Chinese Chick`, `Sexiest Indian Chick` and `Sexiest Pregnant Sri Lankan`, reported Daily Mail.
Critics have slammed the glossy for suggesting some women "are only attractive in the context of their own ethnicity".
GQ, which stands for Gentleman`s Quarterly, published the list this week in its US edition with R&B superstar Beyonce emblazoned on the front cover under the title `Miss Millennium`.
`Slumdog Millionaire` star Freida Pinto was crowned `Hottest Indian Chick`, while `Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon` actress Zhang Ziyi was named `Hottest Chinese Chick`. They named British rapper M.I.A `Hottest Pregnant Sri Lankan`.
There is no mention of Beyonce`s African-American heritage, Mila Kunis` Ukranian roots or Kim Kardashian`s Armenian ancestry.
"By calling out certain women`s ethnicity and not others, what they`re implying is that these women are not beautiful simply because they`re beautiful; they`re only attractive within the context of their own ethnicity," said Professor Ruth C White, from Seattle University`s Department of Anthropology, Sociology, and Social Work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I'm even happier: Father-to-be George Clooney
- Karan Johar takes his twins – Yash and Roohi – home
- Rajinikanth pens OPEN LETTER thanking Sri Lankan Tamils for support!
- Karan Johar's reaction on hearing Kangana Ranaut's name is EPIC!
- Beyhadh written update, March 28, 2017: Maya shocks Arjun with her pregnancy news!
- Katrina Kaif, Varun Dhawan, Alia Bhatt and others dazzle at Hello! Hall Of Fame awards—SEE PICS
- Kriti Sanon looks fab on Vogue cover!
- Twinkle Khanna gets a hair makeover and we are crushing on it!
- Shahid Kapoor flaunts his six-pack abs on latest Filmfare cover!
- Alia Bhatt looks ethereal wearing Sabyasachi creation for Harper's Bazaar cover!