Jewel up the dull winter mood - here`s how
New Delhi: Does the winter season end up making you feel dull? Pep up your mood by dressing in bright colours and glam up the look with statement jewellery pieces - a wrist cuff, a pair of striking earrings or studs. Opting for fusion isn`t a bad idea either, designers suggest.
"Options for wearing jewellery during winter are minimal because you are laden with many layers on to you," says Sumit Sawhney of Apala Innovative Jewelry.
But who says you can`t experiment?
"Women can still flaunt their jewellery pieces with overcoats and jackets. Longer neckpieces go remarkably well with pullovers and jackets, while multi-layered chains in stone and gold give a very elegant look. Since you already have a lot of volume on to you, stick to minimal accessories that become a focal point. For a bolder look, you can go for big bold studs to complement your turtle necks," Sawhney said.
Ladies can add a dash of glamour with big chunky chandelier earrings or a flashy brooch - they are "bang on trend" and easy to flaunt, says Tarang Arora, CEO of jewellery brand Amrapali.
Designer Neety Singh, however, warns against use of heavy neckpieces.
"Since one is mostly covered till the neck, it is not the best time to flaunt neckpeices. Effective earrings, rings and cuffs in jewel colours look dramatic with blacks, greys and browns," said Singh.
"Do not mix coloured jewellery with coloured clothing! With coloured clothing, it is best to stick to classic diamond studs and bands," added the designer, who recently launched her winter collection in pure 18- and 22- carat gold, incorporating diamonds, platinum, rubies, emeralds, pearls and other semi-precious gemstones.
According to Arora, rainbow colours are dominating 2012-13 winter, and therefore investing in stone-studded and Navratna jewellery, also keeping the wedding season in mind, is a great idea.
The gems do well to accentuate the fusion look - a mix of Indian and western sensibilities.
A lot of women end up in western wear during winter or even wear jackets and coats over saris and suits. What does one do then?
"Yellow gold jadau jewellery goes very well with the vibrant colours of Indian outfits. And Victorian jewellery, a combination of gold and silver studded with diamonds, looks great with western outfits," Arora said.
Singh said: "Delhi is synonymous with shawls with jeans and sweaters! Jaquard or thick woollen jackets and bandhgalas with trousers and jeans is a perfect example... Polki, silver or gold goes beautifully with the look."
Wise investment too must be kept in mind while purchasing jewellery for winter.
"Always believe in one statement piece over small trinkets. One piece added every year (winter), not inspired by trends, but that which would go into becoming heirloom is what one should stretch for. A classic pair of emerald or ruby earrings or an effective large ring or even a single strand of polki is a good idea and will never go out of fashion," said Singh.
The focus should be on getting jewellery that "complements different looks ranging from ethnic to contemporary and fusion," concluded Sawhney.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Indian' sequel on the cards: A.M. Rathnam
- Nepal earthquake recreated on 'Yeh Hai Mohabbatein'
- Men prefer brains over big breasts and long legs: Study
- Naren turns baddie for 'Aranmanai 2'
- Let your hair shine in summer
- Women more forgiving towards attractive men
- 'Terminator Genisys' to release in India on July 3
- Kim Kardashian, Kanye West exploring surrogacy?
- Paul McCartney almost played Ross' father-in-Law on 'Friends'
- Tracy Morgan settles car crash lawsuit with Walmart
- Top five celebrities and their non-starry partners!
- 'Terminator Genisys' to release in India on July 3
- 'Inside Out' to release in India on June 26
- 'Masaan' to release in India on July 24
- Emraan Hashmi's 'Azhar' teases crosses 1 million views!
- Indian stories need global exposure: 'Lunchbox' director Ritesh Batra
- Kangana's midas touch: 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns` racing fast towards Rs 100 crore
- Chris Pine in talks to play Steve Trevor in 'Wonder Woman'
- Tabu will bring whole new energy to 'Fitoor': Abhishek Kapoor
- 'PK' collects $7.03 mn in China
- I am a fan of Tom Hanks: Al Pacino
- A movie about Mumbai Film Festival
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015