Lily Cole wants ban on killing sharks for cosmetic industry
London: Model-actress Lily Cole will host a talk at the Hay Festival to raise awareness of the use of shark liver oil in skincare products.
Cole is set to speak out against the use of shark liver in the beauty industry. The British model will give a talk explaining the cruel practice of using squalene, an oil extracted from the livers of endangered sharks, to make high-end face cream, reported Contactmusic.
Cole, who is known for her keen support of animal rights and environmental campaigns, will be joined on stage at the literary gathering in Wales by Alannah Weston, Selfridges` creative director, who is eradicating all products using shark squalene from the store.
"Sharks are now among the most vulnerable species in the ocean. The unrestricted killing of sharks is just another example of human destruction of the ocean and its creatures," said Alannah.
According to Bloom, a French marine conservation charity, 3 million deep sea sharks are killed each year to benefit the cosmetics industry, and Cole hopes to change this by raising awareness of the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Alia Bhatt on latest Grazia cover is UNMISSABLE!
- Kareena Kapoor Khan and Karisma Kapoor's shopping PIC defines sister squad goals!
- Katrina Kaif, Varun Dhawan, Alia Bhatt and others dazzle at Hello! Hall Of Fame awards—SEE PICS
- Kriti Sanon looks fab on Vogue cover!
- Twinkle Khanna gets a hair makeover and we are crushing on it!