Lily Cole wants ban on killing sharks for cosmetic industry
London: Model-actress Lily Cole will host a talk at the Hay Festival to raise awareness of the use of shark liver oil in skincare products.
Cole is set to speak out against the use of shark liver in the beauty industry. The British model will give a talk explaining the cruel practice of using squalene, an oil extracted from the livers of endangered sharks, to make high-end face cream, reported Contactmusic.
Cole, who is known for her keen support of animal rights and environmental campaigns, will be joined on stage at the literary gathering in Wales by Alannah Weston, Selfridges` creative director, who is eradicating all products using shark squalene from the store.
"Sharks are now among the most vulnerable species in the ocean. The unrestricted killing of sharks is just another example of human destruction of the ocean and its creatures," said Alannah.
According to Bloom, a French marine conservation charity, 3 million deep sea sharks are killed each year to benefit the cosmetics industry, and Cole hopes to change this by raising awareness of the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Most searched male celebrity list 2016: Kapil Sharma beats Amitabh Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan
- Mahira Khan's role chopped in big Bollywood debut 'Raees'—Here's all you need to know
- Rukmini- devoted wife of Sri Krishna and incarnation of Goddess Lakshmi
- Sonam Kapoor to play Madhuri Dixit in Sanjay Dutt's biopic?
- Here's how Ranbir Kapoor will be transformed to Sanjay Dutt for Rajkumar Hirani's biopic!
- Kareena Kapoor Khan looks incredibly gorgeous on the cover of Grazia India
- Deepika Padukone aces her monochrome look like a fashion pro!
- Make-up must haves in your kitty!
- Wedding special: Dear men, ace Nawabi look this season
- Vishnu Raj Menon wins Peter England Mr India 2016, Hrithik Roshan feels 'inspired'