Maggie Gyllenhaal pens support for Planned Parenthood in magazine
Washington: Maggie Gyllenhaal has penned a new opinion piece in support of Planned Parenthood, declaring that every woman should have “the right” to adequate health care.
The 34-year-old actress, who is expecting her second child with Peter Sarsgaard, wrote the column for America’s Glamour magazine in a bid to push politicians into providing more options for low-income families.
“What I believe very strongly is that every woman has the right to decide what she can do with her body. That seems like a no-brainer to me, but it’s not to some politicians; they’re working to restrict women’s access to reproductive health services - things like cancer screenings, birth control and abortion care...,” Contactmusic quoted her as writing.
“The assaults on women’s health care have been fast and furious... Many of these attacks are designed to shut down one provider: Planned Parenthood, the only health care provide to have been targeted by name in recent federal legislation...
“I find these restrictions dismaying because they disproportionately target women with lower incomes. Wealthy women will always be able to access the health care they need.
“Planned Parenthood is there for every woman. This is an organisation that works in communities to provide high-quality care like cervical cancer screenings, breast exams, Hiv tests and birth control - often to women who would otherwise go without...
“I’ve been a Planned Parenthood supporter my whole life - since my mom took me to a rally when I was in sixth grade. It’s chilling to think of this resource being taken away.
“I have a five-year-old daughter and I``m pregnant with my second child. I know when my children are older, I will be taking them to events like the one I went to with my mom. I hope we``ll be celebrating our freedoms and rights, not fighting for them once again as we are now,” she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch videos: Varun Dhawan's terrific dance moves for 'Dishoom' promotions in Nagpur!
- Fitness goals! See how Akshay Kumar celebrated 'International handstand day'
- Vikram Bhatt sues Kamaal R Khan for defamation
- Quiz master Neil O'Brien is dead
- Don't feel like resting on words like celebrity, superstar: Freida Pinto
- Mother of 21 year-old twin sons - Urvashi Dholakia - defies age and how! See pics
- Priyanka Chopra sets the temperature soaring this monsoon – See sizzling hot pics
- ‘Hottest woman in the world’ Priyanka Chopra sets the temperature soaring on Maxim India Cover – See pic
- Mandira Bedi’s sexy bikini ‘saree’ will give you serious fashion goals – See pics
- Fawad Khan is conservative – Here’s why