Maggie Gyllenhaal pens support for Planned Parenthood in magazine
Washington: Maggie Gyllenhaal has penned a new opinion piece in support of Planned Parenthood, declaring that every woman should have “the right” to adequate health care.
The 34-year-old actress, who is expecting her second child with Peter Sarsgaard, wrote the column for America’s Glamour magazine in a bid to push politicians into providing more options for low-income families.
“What I believe very strongly is that every woman has the right to decide what she can do with her body. That seems like a no-brainer to me, but it’s not to some politicians; they’re working to restrict women’s access to reproductive health services - things like cancer screenings, birth control and abortion care...,” Contactmusic quoted her as writing.
“The assaults on women’s health care have been fast and furious... Many of these attacks are designed to shut down one provider: Planned Parenthood, the only health care provide to have been targeted by name in recent federal legislation...
“I find these restrictions dismaying because they disproportionately target women with lower incomes. Wealthy women will always be able to access the health care they need.
“Planned Parenthood is there for every woman. This is an organisation that works in communities to provide high-quality care like cervical cancer screenings, breast exams, Hiv tests and birth control - often to women who would otherwise go without...
“I’ve been a Planned Parenthood supporter my whole life - since my mom took me to a rally when I was in sixth grade. It’s chilling to think of this resource being taken away.
“I have a five-year-old daughter and I``m pregnant with my second child. I know when my children are older, I will be taking them to events like the one I went to with my mom. I hope we``ll be celebrating our freedoms and rights, not fighting for them once again as we are now,” she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ‘Baywatch’ new trailer gives us another glimpse of Priyanka Chopra – WATCH
- Fight on flight: Did Kapil Sharma slap, hit Sunil Grover with a shoe?
- Priyanka Chopra's 'Quantico' to talk about Donald Trump, immigration policies
- Paul Walker was like an older brother to me: Scott Eastwood
- 'Bigg Boss 10' winner Manveer Gurjar is disappointed with Aakanksha Sharmaa! - Watch
- Shahid Kapoor flaunts his six-pack abs on latest Filmfare cover!
- Alia Bhatt looks ethereal wearing Sabyasachi creation for Harper's Bazaar cover!
- Vaani Kapoor's mysterious act for Rina Dhaka stops time at AIFW
- Summer breezy hairstyles in 60 seconds! WATCH
- Sonam Kapoor on 'Cosmo' cover looks urban chic!