Malaika Arora Khan my mentor and muse: designer Rick Roy
New Delhi: Global fashion trends and not Bollywood styles influence India`s, says designer Rick Roy who styles stars like Sonam Kapoor, Emraan Hashmi and Chitrangada Singh, adding that he draws inspiration from his mentor Malaika Arora "to be perfect".
"I don`t think Bollywood completely dictates fashion trends for the youth. It influences it to some extent, since we are a film driven country. At some point it used to as the common people didn`t have access to the world fashion, so films and film stars were a big influence on what people wanted to look like," Roy told reporters.
"Now we have access to much more than that. The scope to choose a look has become wider, the world fashion scenario dictates fashion trends for the youth now," he added.
He has declared that actress Malaika is his muse.
Asked him about the same, and he replied saying, "The first thing that comes to my mind for Malaika is that she is my mentor and my muse. She is all about perfection and that`s what I have learned from her and that`s what I think about when I am designing for her. I always try to achieve that perfection for her," he said.
"I would love to style so many of them, but one person who I love making clothes for is Malaika Arora Khan and that has nothing to do with what she does as a profession...She is beautiful, personifies my style and I like seeing her in my creations," he added
Apart from taking care of personal wardrobe of stars, Roy also styles actors for their roles in movies. He currently worked on "Jannat 2". He designed Deepika Padukone`s look in "Players" and Malaika`s in the song "Anarkali disco chali".
Talking about the kind of freedom required by a fashion designer while working in a film, Roy said: "A film is not about showcasing what kind of clothes you can do, it`s about creating something that works for the character in the film. Reading and understanding the script is a must."
"Also, understanding what the director has in his/her mind for the characters in the story," he added.
Roy feels there is no point in making anyone wear something they are not comfortable in.
Everyone has their own likes and dislikes and comfort levels, he said and added that a person should always feel happy wearing what he or she is wearing.
"If they are uncomfortable, it shows. So there is no point putting someone into something just because you think it works. If the person who is wearing it is not comfortable wearing it, it will not work anyway," he said.
What if your client does not agree with your ideas?
"If that`s the case, I reason out with the person and try and explain why a particular style wouldn`t work. But if he/she isn`t convinced and still wants to go ahead, then I would try and salvage the outfit to the maximum that I can," Roy said.
With so many fashion designers trying to come out with their distinctive style, how difficult it is for you to stand out?
"I don`t think there is a certain formula that you can follow to try and break free and start a new trend. It`s a trial and error process.
"It has become very challenging as everyone is exposed to newer ways and methods of creating and styling. I believe if you are good at your job, you`ll be noticed. I create what comes to me naturally. I try to create new looks that I feel works. At times they catch on as a new trend, at times they don`t," he added.
He signs off saying that with his designs he tries to make people feel great about themselves and that is his USP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bill Paxton wants role in 'Alien 5'
- Regina to romance Vishnu Manchu in his next
- Puneet Issar approached for 'Jhalak Dikhla Jaa'
- Excited that 'Dr Who' is finally in India: Steven Moffat
- Unwell Anushka won't join 'Dil Dhadakne Do' team in Kolkata
- Gear up for World Ethnic Day next month
- Illayaraja urges police to stop misuse of his music
- Anne Hathaway's 'Colossal' sued for being similar to Godzilla'
- Indus Valley script numerical, not language: Historian
- Kamal Haasan's next titled Cheekati Rajyam' in Telugu
- Pooja Hegde finishes 101 days of 'Mohenjo Daro' shoot
- Unwell Anushka won't join 'Dil Dhadakne Do' team in Kolkata
- Richa Chadha meets her 'idol' Marion Cotillard in Cannes
- PM Modi thanks Big B for donating 11 lakhs to Nepal earthquake victims
- Kanye West makes record donation of USD 133K to co-founded charity
- Salman Khan to attend sister Arpita's reception at Mandi tomorrow
- Amal Clooney wants to be on Vogue's cover
- Model-actress Kelly Brook planning family
- Chelsea Handler goes topless in Bahamas
- Khloe Kardashian, Rick Fox spark dating rumours
- My mom, wife worried about my health: Aamir Khan
- Richa Chaddha extends Cannes trip for 'detox'
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'