Manish Malhotra celebrates eras of Indian cinema at LFW
Mumbai: Ace designer Manish Malhotra Friday dedicated his line to 100 years of Indian cinema at the Lakme Fashion Week (LFW) Summer-Resort 2013.
The show started with four renowned filmmakers of ‘Bombay Talkies’ -- Karan Johar, Anurag Kashyap, Dibakar Banerjee and Zoya Akhtar -- walking the ramp. All four were dressed in black.
Malhotra`s collection was inspired by the three main eras of fashion in Indian cinema -- from 1913 to 2013 -- and was a homage to the distinctive styles of every iconic period in Indian cinema.
"I have grown up watching Indian cinema. My journey as a costume designer to movies for 23 years has been an emotional experience. I have loved cinema and cinema has loved me back. It has made me what I am today. When I got this opportunity to celebrate 100 years of cinema, I had to embrace this milestone and create a memorable collection reflecting my equal love for cinema and fashion," Manish said.
The designs started off from the black and white era and had a collection of lehengas and kurtas.
After this came the colour era with bright colours like pink, green and yellow. The clothes had detailed embroidery work on them as well.
This was followed by a vibrant range of patterns like polka dotted clothes which was later followed more modern apparel.
The show was indeed a star-studded experience with celebrities like Priyanka Chopra, Sidharth Malhotra and Varun Dhawan walking the ramp.
While Priyanka donned a vibrant green sari with a hot pink border, Varun Dhawan looked dapper in a white kurta Pajama with a stunning blue jacket. Sidharth who was welcomed with whistles pulled off a pink jacket over white kurta pajama with elan.
After the spectacular show, Priyanka Chopra said: "This is the 100th birthday of the film industry100 years and not out..indeed deserves a celebration. If Indian cinema is a cake, then Manish Malhotra is like the cherry on it."
She also called on to the ramp three legends from different fields; actress Hema Malini, singer Asha Bhosle and designer Bhanu Athiya.
All three were dressed in Manish Malhotra outfits.
The designer who has designed many outfits for Kajol and Karishma for their films also invited them to walk the ramp with him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ‘Lipstick Under My Burkha’ row: Bollywood celebrities slam CBFC decision
- Guardians The Superheroes movie review: Russian replica of 'X-Men' series
- 'Anaarkali of Aaarah' will appeal to all sections: Swara Bhaskar
- Vishal Bharadwaj is very sensitive: Kangana Ranaut
- Worth taking all the risk: Deepika Padukone on 'xXx: Return of Xander Cage' success
- Maha Shivaratri 2017: Go ethnic to look resplendent
- 'Princess India' title: John Abraham to honour the winner of beauty pageant for visually impaired
- Men too can incorporate pink in their wardrobe!
- Alia Bhatt-Varun Dhawan’s chemistry on Filmfare cover exhibits cuteness in abundance
- Jeetendra, Arbaaz to walk ramp for charity show