Miss World 2011: Kanishtha Dhankhar fails to make it to top 25
London: Miss Venezuela Ivian Sarcos was Sunday evening crowned Miss World 2011, and India`s hopes of winning the title for the sixth time came crashing down as Miss India World Kanishtha Dhankhar failed to make it to the top 25.
At an extravagant ceremony at the Earls Court in London, 21-year-old Sarcos defeated over 100 beauties from various parts of the world at the 61st Miss World contest.
Miss Philippines Gwendoline Ruais was the first runner-up and Miss Puerto Rico Amanda Perez became the second runner-up.
The gala event kicked off Sunday evening with a dynamic performance by British street dance troup Diversity, followed by the introduction of the Miss World contestants.
It ended with Miss World 2010 Alexandria Mills crowning Sarcos.
The jury included former Miss World winners -- Cindy Breakspeare (1976), Nigeria Agbani Darego (2001), Zhang Zilin (2007) and Kaiane Aldorino (2009).
Mumbai-based model Dhankhar has walked the ramp for designers like Rohit Bal and Sabyasachi Mukherjee.
Model-turned-actress Priyanka Chopra was the last Indian model to win the title in 2000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farah Khan marks triplet's birthday with 3 mn Twitter fans!
- Salman Khan hints at marriage plans; is Iulia Vantur the lucky girl?
- 'Stars Wars: The Force Awakens' sued over Harrison Ford's broken leg
- Unbelievable! Rishi Kapoor’s transforms into a 90-year-old man: Watch video
- Kanye West launches Yeezy Season 3, drops new album!