Plea submitted to ban animal-tested cosmetics` import
New Delhi: A petition signed by over 70,000 people was submitted to the ministry of health and family welfare Wednesday, urging an import ban on cosmetics tested on animals abroad.
"We are thrilled to have collected so many signatures. This level of support demonstrates how much consumers from across India and beyond want to end cruelty and shop compassionately, knowing that no animal has suffered for their beauty products," said Alokparna Sengupta, Humane Society International (HSI) India`s Be Cruelty-Free campaign manager.
The ministry and the Drug Controller General have already banned cosmetics` animal testing in Indian laboratories.
"Putting a ban on import would position India ahead of other BRICS nations, and indeed most western nations, in the area of ethical consumerism," added Sengupta.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- AR Rahman's romantic ballads steal Delhi hearts
- Influential theatre and opera director Luc Bondy dead at 67
- No one better than Ranveer, Deepika as Bajirao and Mastani: Priyanka
- Bigg Boss 9: Rimi Sen does not choose to leave house, Priya Malik wins immunity and captainship!
- Darshan Kumar excited to share screen space with Aishwarya