Raveena poses for PETA
New Delhi: Raveena Tandon is trying to create awareness about the sufferings of snakes and other animals whose skins are used to make accessories, by posing for an advertisement for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA).
In the ad, the 35-year-old is wearing a slinky outfit that resembles snakeskin while lying in a pool of blood, with the words - Wearing Exotic Skins Kills. Leave Wildlife Out of Your Wardrobe - written below it.
"Wearing shoes, clothes and other accessories made out of exotic skin is about as cold-blooded as it gets," said Raveena in a statement released here Monday.
"These days, there`s a wild kingdom of fake snake, mock crocodiles and python leather that pay tribute to the beauty of these animals without making them fashion victims."
The National Award winning actress wants consumers to know about the suffering that snakes, alligators and other animals endure before their skins are made into shoes, bags and other products.
"Snakes are commonly nailed to trees or posts and skinned alive. After animals` mutilated bodies are discarded, it can take hours for them to die. Alligators on factory farms are crammed into small spaces and then beaten to death with hammers or axes," said Raveena.
She has now joined the bandwagon of celebrities like John Abraham, Pamela Anderson, Sir Paul McCartney and Jackie Chan who have taken part in campaigns for PETA to save animals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Robert Downey Jr travels with his furniture
- Hundreds say farewell at funeral for blues great BB King
- Kim Kardashian is a great wing woman: Paris Hilton
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' breaks into Rs 100 crore club
- Vidya Balan turns down Suchitra Sen biopic
- Disney pulls plug on 'Tron 3'
- 21 European films to be screened in Kolkata
- Mamata Banerjee remembers Rituparno Ghosh as West Bengal's pride
- Iggy Azalea cancels tour
- 'Ishqedarriyaan' review: An oft-seen love story
- Chris Brown sometimes hated himself
- Iggy Azalea cancels tour
- Levine's throat problem cancels 'Maroon 5' concert
- Adele is going to be me in 40 years: Stevie Nicks
- Mother's death made me a musician: Bono
- Sonu Nigam teams up with Sandesh Shandilya for 'Chalk n Duster'
- 'Entourage' soundtrack out in June
- Getting perfect pitch possible for some adult musicians
- Taylor Swift concert wristband save three teenagers' lives
- Jason Derulo unveils new album
- Happy Mondays making music with tribes
- Musical tribute to Noor Jehan, but with a twist
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- MHA notification: SC issues notice to Delhi govt
- Railways may hike AC class fares from June 1, 2015
- Protests outside IIT-Madras against ban on students' group
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 29, 2015
- Special: Heart-wrenching tales of elderly people in old age homes
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Maggi noodles controversy: Case to be filed against Nestle in UP today
- US formally removes Cuba from terror blacklist in landmark move
- Arrival of Monsoon over Kerala delayed by 2-3 days: Met Department
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- Govt committed to One Rank, One Pension: PM Narendra Modi
- If Congress was pro-poor, why does poverty still exist in India, asks PM Narendra Modi
- Log on to ahsec.nic.in: AHSEC 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 10 am