Rihanna sues fashion chain for selling T-shirt with her photo
Los Angeles: `Diamonds` hitmaker Rihanna has reportedly sued a UK fashion chain for selling T-shirts bearing her image without her consent.
The 25-year-old R&B star`s team tried to negotiate with Topshop owners for eight months over the rights to the image, reported Ace showbiz.
"Rihanna`s team asked Topshop a number of times to stop selling her image. However, the fashion giant owned by billionaire Sir Philip Green told the singer that it would continue selling the T-shirts.
"(Topshop`s owners) buy the pictures from a photographer, but they do not pay the artist licensing fees. Unfortunately, UK law does not protect the artist," a source said.
"What is most offensive for Rihanna is that they basically told her, `Go to hell. We don`t care; we are going to continue selling you`.
"Even though the UK laws don`t protect the artist, she has decided to move forward and sue Topshop. She has spent almost USD 1 million in litigation at this point. She says it`s the principle, and wants to make a statement about it. They are taking advantage of artists. It is just exploitation. What they are doing is wrong," the source added.
Rihanna has reportedly hired international lawyer Reed Smith to file the suit in London.
Topshop haven`t commented on the case yet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ‘Lipstick Under My Burkha’ row: Bollywood celebrities slam CBFC decision
- Guardians The Superheroes movie review: Russian replica of 'X-Men' series
- 'Anaarkali of Aaarah' will appeal to all sections: Swara Bhaskar
- Vishal Bharadwaj is very sensitive: Kangana Ranaut
- Worth taking all the risk: Deepika Padukone on 'xXx: Return of Xander Cage' success
- Maha Shivaratri 2017: Go ethnic to look resplendent
- 'Princess India' title: John Abraham to honour the winner of beauty pageant for visually impaired
- Men too can incorporate pink in their wardrobe!
- Alia Bhatt-Varun Dhawan’s chemistry on Filmfare cover exhibits cuteness in abundance
- Jeetendra, Arbaaz to walk ramp for charity show