Tongue piercing ‘can cause tooth gaps’
Washington: ‘Playing’ with a pierced-tongue stud can eventually result in a gap between the front teeth, according to a study by University at Buffalo researchers.
"It is a basic tenet of orthodontic that force, over time, moves teeth," said the study``s primary investigator, Sawsan Tabbaa, assistant professor of orthodontics at the UB School of Dental Medicine.
Tabbaa notes that a previous UB dental school survey study of Buffalo high school students revealed that the presence of a barbell implant/stud caused a damaging habit whereby subjects pushed the metal stud up against and between their upper front teeth, a habit commonly referred to among the students as "playing."
"And it happened in very high percent of the cases," said Tabbaa.
That repeated "playing" with the stud may result in a gap as is demonstrated in Tabbaa``s current case study.
The study involved a 26- year-old female patient examined at UB`s orthodontic clinic who complained that a large space had developed between her upper central incisors or upper front teeth. The patient also had a tongue piercing that held a barbell-shaped tongue stud.
The tongue was pierced seven years earlier and every day for seven years she had pushed the stud between her upper front teeth, creating the space between them and, subsequently, habitually placing it in the space. The patient did not have a space between her upper front teeth prior to the tongue piercing.
"The barbell is never removed because the tongue is so vascular that leaving the stud out can result in healing of the opening in the tongue, said Tabbaa, "so it makes perfect sense that constant pushing of the stud against the teeth -- every day with no break -- will move them or drive them apart."
The patient provided the research team with photos that demonstrated she had no diastema, or space, prior to having her tongue pierced. For the purposes of treating this patient`s space, it was assumed that positioning of the tongue stud between the maxillary central incisors or "playing" caused the midline space.
Her treatment involved a fixed braces appliance to push the front teeth back together.
Tongue piercing can result in serious injury not just to teeth but has also been associated with hemorrhage, infection, chipped and fractured teeth, trauma to the gums and, in the worst cases, brain abscess, said Tabbaa.
The study has been published in the July issue of the Journal of Clinical Orthodontics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- `Tanu Weds Manu Returns` creating magic at Box Office
- Pawan Kalyan sports bearded look for 'Gabbar Singh 2'
- Jacques Audiard's "Dheepan" wins Palme d'Or at Cannes
- Suriya pushed me towards excellence: Venkat Prabhu
- Ben Stiller's mother dies at 85
- U2 dedicate pride song to gay marriage voters in Ireland
- Naomi Campbell celebrates 45th birthday in Cannes
- Actress-comedian Anne Meara dies
- 'Tomorrowland' tops North American box office
- Bollywood wishes love to Karan Johar on his birthday
- Nandita Das on Cannes recce to find producers for film on Manto
- Vanessa Hudgens suffering from tendinitis
- Shah Rukh Khan undergoes knee surgery, advised rest
- Gul Panag launches fitness app in Mumbai
- Michelle Obama packs a punch, accepts workout challenge
- Want to lose weight? Eat little, but often
- Tom Hardy reveals painful drug-addled past
- Portia De Rossi opens up about early struggle with bulimia, anorexia
- Tanuja, daughters create breast cancer awareness
- Meditation should be part of school curriculum: Shoojit Sircar
- Zoe Saldana has banished 'diet'
- Mandira Bedi turns fitness guru
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title