US-based designer Sushma Patel keeps her desi roots
New Delhi: US-based designer Sushma Patel, who is set to make her debut in Indian fashion industry with the forthcoming India Resort Fashion Week (IRFW), hasn`t forgotten her Indian roots. She says she makes sure she adds a desi touch to her creations everytime.
"This is the first time I am making my mark in Indian market with IRFW and I am very excited," Patel, who was born in a small city in Gujarat, said.
During her over 15 years of presence in the fashion industry, Patel has showcased her work at fashion weeks in New York, Paris, Dubai and Milan. She also retails from diverse destinations like Istanbul, Jamaica, Romania, Barbados, Russia, Cayman Island and Iceland.
She says it was never an intentional move to stay away from Indian fashion industry, as she was busy focussing on her international projects.
"It was never an intentional move. It`s just that I was based in the US and I was so busy over there that I never got the time to showcase my collection around the world. I always wanted to come to India and launch my line," she said.
"I took a little longer to make my presence abroad, but now I think this was the best time to enter in India through IRFW," added the 48-year-old.
The second edition of the fashion extravaganza, starting Nov 28, is scheduled to take place at Goa`s popular Candolim beach this year.
The designer says she has always tried to keep Indian sensibilities intact in her creations.
"I did Bucharest Fashion Week for Fashion TV and they asked me to do something like a Bollywood show. So I created a complete Indian collection. There was a bridal line with Indian touch, so I can say that I am always in touch with Indian fashion," said Patel, who admires Indian designers, including Manish Malhotra and JJ Valaya.
For IRFW, she is set to showcase a collection titled Cupcake Massacre. The collection will have a mix of tailored jumpsuits and easy-to-wear shifts accented with chains and studs, accessorised by colour-blocked wedges and slings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jolly LLB 2 box office collections: Akshay Kumar's courtroom act still going STRONG!
- Kareena Kapoor Khan has a special NICKNAME for baby Taimur Ali Khan!
- Aishwarya Rai and Abhishek Bachchan to team up for a film?
- Alia Bhatt and Varun Dhawan look cutesy in new poster of 'Badrinath Ki Dulhania'!
- Prince Narula dating Yuvika Chaudhary? Here’s the answer
- Oscars 2017: Priyanka Chopra raises temperature in white at red carpet
- Priyanka Chopra, Deepika Padukone sizzle at pre-Oscars 2017 parties
- Anushka Sharma on VOGUE cover will bring out the 'feminist' in you!
- Maha Shivaratri 2017: Go ethnic to look resplendent
- 'Princess India' title: John Abraham to honour the winner of beauty pageant for visually impaired