US designer Wang draws inspiration from Nehru for Fashion Week
New York: India and its first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru were the inspiration for globally-renowned American fashion designer Vera Wang, who displayed the Nehru collar and detailed gold embroidery and brocade in her spring 2013 collection at the prestigious New York Fashion Week here.
Wang, known for her haute couture bridal gowns and high fashion apparel, said her collection was inspired by India and showcased the discipline that Nehru`s clothes brought to men`s clothing in India.
Before her show began yesterday at the ongoing bi-annual New York Fashion Week, considered one of the most important fashion events across the world, Wang told her models and dressers that "Jawaharlal Nehru was the Prime Minister of India."
The `Nehru collar` and `Choli jacket` were a signature look in Wang`s collection, which was in hues of white, vibrant turquoise, emerald green and bright purple.
She, however, pointed out that her India-inspired collection goes beyond the saris and Bollywood that are synonymous with Indian fashion.
"The collection is out of India, but India is just the starting point," Wang said. "There is no belly dancing, there are no sarongs, there are no saris. It is about the sort of discipline about Indian men`s clothes like Nehru, against the mystery and sensuality of Indian women - but not literally. It`s not Bollywood."
Fashion magazine Vogue said Wang`s collection could be described as Indian in its opulence and rich palette.
Wang said some of her designs could be seen in Hollywood later this month for the Emmy Awards. "Well, that is a possibility. That is a distinct possibility," she said.
Wang`s collection was a pageant of opulent textures and details, including gold embroidery, gold jewelled brocade and gold hammered bullion skirts.
It included layered all-white full skirts, fitted canvas jackets, lace dresses, heavily embroidered sleeveless tops, skirts and silk cocktail dresses.
Wang is a favourite among American celebrities and her clientele for wedding gowns include former first daughter Chelsea Clinton, business tycoon Donald Trump`s daughter Ivanka Trump, singers Mariah Carey and Jennifer Lopez, fashion icon Victoria Beckham, actress Kate Hudson and reality TV stars Khloe and Kim Kardashian.
Her evening wear has also been worn by First Lady Michelle Obama.
Apart from India-inspired clothes, Indian designers too are showcasing their collections at the fashion week, which is closely watched by fashion afficiandos around the world for latest trends and upcoming fashion statements.
Falguni and Shane Peacock, Bibhu Mohapatra and Naeem Khan have become regulars at the fashion week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Malayalam actress abduction case: Congress MLA alleges 'serious lapses' in handling case
- Veteran Arun Kakade selected for META Lifetime Achievement
- Have made my space without backing, support, says Aditi Rao Hydari
- I have earned enough money: Akshay Kumar
- Special screening of 'Lion' for Salaam Balak and Google India
- 'Princess India' title: John Abraham to honour the winner of beauty pageant for visually impaired
- Men too can incorporate pink in their wardrobe!
- Alia Bhatt-Varun Dhawan’s chemistry on Filmfare cover exhibits cuteness in abundance
- Jeetendra, Arbaaz to walk ramp for charity show
- Deepika Padukone in a Ralph Lauren number at New York Fashion Week will leave you mesmerised!