US incredible place to learn trade, says Indian costume designer
New Delhi: Rome-based Indian origin costume designer Sonu Mishra, who has designed for `The Legends Of Hercules`, releasing here Friday, says the US is a great place to learn your trade as a person`s potential gets preference over his or her nationality.
Born and brought up in Mumbai, Mishra moved to New York in 1989 and said she learned "invaluable lessons" there as she started at the bottom and worked her way up.
"The US is an incredible place to learn your trade as people see the potential in you and give you the opportunities to rise up to the challenges," Mishra, who has worked with Hollywood stars like James Franco, Penelope Cruz, Mila Kunis and Olivia Wilde, told IANS in an email interaction from Rome.
"I met some wonderful people who taught me some really invaluable lessons. I started at the lowest rank and worked my way up," added the designer.
If she experienced the working culture of America, she also got an opportunity to see European working environment thanks to her husband - Italian director Andrea Costantini.
Mishra, who shifted her base to Rome in 1999 after tying the knot with Costantini, said: "My experience in the States and Italy has been that people see the talent in you for who you are. Your hard work, vision, dedication and focus are very much appreciated and rewarded regardless of your nationality."
"The Legends Of Hercules" will release here under PVR Pictures and Picture Works.
Mishra, who worked as a costume designer in films like "Twice Born" and "Third Person", says a lot of research work was required to design for actors like Kellan Lutz and Gaia Weiss for "The Legends Of Hercules".
"We started researching the actual period, then I started looking at paintings from the 15th century onwards for Hercules.
"I fell in love with Alma Tadema`s paintings of ancient Greece. He depicts ancient Greece with a modern feel. The women`s costumes, although true to the period, seemed contemporary. I loved the armour that I saw in 15th century paintings," she said.
Director Renny Harlin`s "The Legend of Hercules" is a 3D film and therefore Mishra worked on the "tiny details, trimmings, metal work and jewellery" for the film.
"We even did metal decorations on the actors` shoes which were all handmade by a shoemaker in Italy. I draped all the costumes on mannequins and tried to avoid stitching as much as we could," she added.
An admirer of costume designer Arjun Bhasin, whose work she really appreciated in the 2012 film "Life of Pi", Mishra is also open to creating designs for Indian stars.
"I haven`t worked on a Bollywood film yet. Yes, it would be great to design one - so many talented actors and directors in India," she said.
Coming to the fashion, well-travelled Mishra says each place has its own distinct style.
"In Mumbai, you get to see such a varied style, Indian clothing combined with western clothing. Colours are very vibrant and it`s what strikes you when you first arrive in India. The colour combinations, the patterns and the embroideries," she said.
Making a comparison, she said that New Yorkers have a way of using vintage clothing with new ones, while Italians` distinctive fashion sense makes them easy to spot.
"Italians have a way of making a pair of jeans and a white shirt look stylish. They have an understated elegance. And, of course, there`s the art of how the women make wearing extremely high heel shoes seem so effortless," said the alumna of Sophia College, Mumbai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Feel sad to not see KKR at Eden: Shah Rukh Khan
- Anushka Sharma feels 'terrible' on being sick, misses fun with DDD boys
- Anil Kapoor, Ranveer Singh cheer for MI, Farhan Akhtar wants to catch a sixer
- Anushka Sharma has evolved as an actor, person: Ranveer Singh
- Haryana to set up three museums
- 'Mohenjodaro' wraps up 101 days of shoot in Bhuj
- 'Dil Dhadakne Do' a world-class film: Anil Kapoor
- Every single child is unique: Priyanka Chopra
- Salman Khan to attend sister's reception in Himachal
- 'Andaaz' clocks 12 years; Priyanka Chopra, Lara Dutta nostalgic
- Dwayne Johnson sets selfie world record
- Cara Delevingne poses topless for jewellery ad
- I quite like being naked: Miranda Kerr
- Men watching porn less likely to enjoy sex with real-life partners
- December 11 is the most popular day of the year to conceive
- Now have 'aquagasm' with new 'shower' sex toy
- Gisele Bundchen goes topless again
- Jessica Simpson poses in seductive way on Instagram
- Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian poses nude
- Secret behind Kim K's nude photoshoot revealed
- Jennifer Lawrence draws eyeballs in new photo shoot
- Keira Knightley will go topless, but on condition
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Mbose SSLC 10th Results 2015: Meghalaya Board (mbose.in & megresults.nic.in) Class 10th exam results 2015 to be announced today on May 25
- Mbose HSSLC 12th Arts Results 2015: Meghalaya Board (mbose.in & megresults.nic.in) Class 12th Arts exam results 2015 to be announced today on May 25
- CBSE Class XII Board Results 2015 to be out on Monday