Venezuelan who dreamt of becoming nun crowned Miss World 2011
London: Miss Venezuela, Ivian Lunasol Sarcos Colmenares, who spent five years studying in a nunnery, has bagged the title of Miss World 2011 amid much fanfare at Earls Court Two in London.
Colmenares beat contestants from 113 countries to the coveted title after impressing the jury in the categories of beach beauty, top model, talent, sports, and beauty with a purpose - where the contestants were supposed to demonstrate contribution in a charity project.
The 21-year-old has a degree in human resources and worked for a broadcasting company before winning the title.
The winner of the beauty pageant said that she wants to utilize her title to help the people in need.
“Winning means everything to me and I hope to take advantage of being a winner in a productive manner,” the Daily Mail quoted her as saying.
“I’m unbelievably happy to have won and there are some incredible girls. I first and foremost want to help people in need.”
She went on to say that she was orphaned at a young age and dreamt of becoming a nun.
“I would like to help people like me. I am an orphan. I would also like to help the elderly and troubled teenagers. As many people as I can.”
“Unfortunately I lost both my parents at a very young age which led me to study for five years in a nunnery. I spent my five years in there and my dream was to become a nun,” she added.
The runners up prizes went to Miss Philippines and Miss Puerto Rico.
This was the 60th year of the beauty pageant and to celebrate its diamond anniversary, it returned to the city where it all began.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: 'Kumkum Bhagya' Episode 654—Abhi visits Pragya's place and meets her family!
- 'Lion' trailer: Dev Patel once again proves his acting brilliance – Watch
- Virtual peer pressure can also spark competition
- Good news bookworms! 22nd Delhi Book Fair begins today
- Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' vs Hrithik Roshan's 'Mohenjo Daro': Week two BO collections are out!
- Here’s how you can give your traditional wardrobe a fusion look
- Anamika Khanna weaves romance at India Couture Week
- India Couture Week: Anita Dongre brings couture for 'bride on the go'
- Immensely proud and ecstatic, says Rohit Khandelwal, first Indian to win Mr World title
- Tips to accessorise your ‘office look’ sensibly