Winter care essentials for the skin
New Delhi: Winter can make your skin dry and dull. Try using cleansers, moisturisers and sunscreen to keep the glow intact, suggests an expert of The Skin Center.
Here are some easy to follow tips by Sirisha Singh, founding member and medical director of The Skin Center:
* Use of a cleanser: Cleansing the skin is important at the beginning of the day and while going to bed to get rid of the dirt and grime that the skin is subjected to during the day. Even people with normal to oily skin may need to use pH neutral cleansers during winter. A harsh cleanser can irritate the skin, increase the risk of eczemas and leaves the skin feeling rough and itchy.
If one has particularly dry skin, use an oatmeal bath. For this, take half a cup of oatmeal, blend it and mix it in a mug of water till it is dissolved completely and leaves a milky looking fluid. Then use this as a soap substitute.
* Use of moisturisers: There is no moisturiser suitable for all. A humectant glycerine is usually mild and soaks inside the skin without feeling too heavy or greasy on the skin surface. If one has a collection of dead skin, then a mild exfoliant may be used to gently scrub away the dead skin. Shea butter-containing moisturisers maybe more suitable for people with extremely dry skin. However, these feel greasy and are better tolerated overnight.
* Use of sunscreen: After the harsh summer heat, the cool weather brings a certain amount of relief. The general tendency is to believe that one doesn’t need sunscreen as there is hardly any sunlight. This is purely a myth as sunscreens protect from ultra-violet (UV) light and it is visible in winter too. Use of a sunscreen is therefore mandatory during winters and one may use a greasier sunscreen formulation like a lotion instead of a gel.
* Internal wellness: This continues to be a requirement all through the year as a healthy skin in a reflection of good inner health. One should continue to eat healthy, drink plenty of water and exercise regularly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shraddha Kapoor visits 'Baaghi' set ahead of shoot
- Expert detoxification guide for brides-to-be
- Salman Khan thanks Aamir, Shah Rukh for 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' poster release
- 'Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya blaze'
- HC seeks ways to restrain songs promoting drugs and alcohol
- I don't consider myself a star: Priyanka Chopra
- Chrissy Teigen wants to adopt children
- Jason Statham likes to 'get drunk'
- Nicole Scherzinger adjusting to singledom
- 'San Andreas' built to entertain, not traumatise: Director
- Azealia Banks to star in 'Coco'
- Alia Bhatt turns vegetarian!
- Jordin Sparks laughs off breast implant rumour
- Vanessa Hudgens suffering from tendinitis
- Shah Rukh Khan undergoes knee surgery, advised rest
- Gul Panag launches fitness app in Mumbai
- Michelle Obama packs a punch, accepts workout challenge
- Want to lose weight? Eat little, but often
- Tom Hardy reveals painful drug-addled past
- Portia De Rossi opens up about early struggle with bulimia, anorexia
- Tanuja, daughters create breast cancer awareness
- Meditation should be part of school curriculum: Shoojit Sircar
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27