Bhai Dooj Special: Chola Dal
Relish the delicious Chola Dal this festive season.
1 cup(s) split Bengal gram (chola dal)
3 cups water
½ teaspoon(s) each of turmeric powder and sugar
3 red chillies broken
½" stick cinnamon
1 green cardamom(s) powdered
1 teaspoon(s) cumin seeds
1" piece ginger finely chopped
1 green chilli(es) finely chopped
3 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon(s) grated fresh coconut
salt to taste
Soak the split Bengal gram in the water for a few minutes. Place the soaked split gram with the water (do not drain) in a heavy-bottomed vessel on high heat along with the cloves, cinnamon, cardamom powder, turmeric, sugar and salt. Let it come to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and cook on low heat for 15 minutes or till the gram is soft but the grains are yet separate. Keep aside.
For the tempering, heat the oil in a pan till very hot . Add the cumin seeds and let them splutter. Now, add the red chilli bits, chopped green chilli(es) and ginger. Fry on low heat for 2 minute(s).
Add the tempering to the cooked gram and mix well. Cook covered on low heat for 5 minutes. Mix in the fresh grated coconut just before serving.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here’s why ‘Raees’ Shah Rukh Khan and ‘Baadshaho’ Ajay Devgn won’t clash at the Box
- Here's what B-Town stars have to say about Keenan-Reuben murder case verdict!
- Singer Mika Singh gets bail in assault case
- Cannes 2016: Guess who Sonam Kapoor plans to take along?
- People often think I am Bengali: Vidya Balan