Christmas Feasts in various Communities
Tongue moile, pork bafat, flammable pudding... a festive lunch is a grand affair.
Stuffed turkey, duck or chicken, pork vindaloo… there’s a lot of meat on any Christmas table, especially if it’s an Anglo Indian one. There’s pulao of course, and salad is always a favourite amongst the health-conscious. Kulkuls and rose cookies are the typical sweets, but black halwa, a tradition adopted from the Kerala Christians in Chennai has found its way into the Anglo Indian menu. Flammable Christmas pudding, made with dry fruits and raisins, is typically soaked in wine for three weeks, before it is baked. Pour a little brandy over it, light it and watch the flames dance as your pudding warms up, ready for you to devour. Plum cake soaked in rum is another specialty. Home-made wines—grape, rice, carrot, ginger and berry—are a big hit. Those who don’t make wine, buy it from those who do.
Inputs from Paul Jacobs
Pork all the way
Pork is the key word in a Manglorean Christmas lunch–bafat made with a special Manglorean powder, sorpotel in a semi-gravy, Indad (sweet and sour pork in a thick gravy), pork chilly and a pork salad (go well with drinks)! Sannas go well with shavio (rice vermicilli) and panpole (neer dosa) is best eaten with chicken roce curry (in a coconut gravy), green curry or vindaloo. You’re bound to find delicious mutton-chops or sukka among the meat dishes. Traditionally, salad is a tossed wholesome affair, but a cucumber and ground coconut salad is not uncommon. Light veggies may find their way to the table, but meat is the clear winner. Pulao is made with sweet chutney, raisins and dates. For those with a sweet-tooth, there’s sponge cake, mani (like dodol but a lighter brown), kulkuls, neuris, rose cookies, ladoos and chaklis.
Inputs from Marjorie Saldanha
A bottle-masala Christmas
At an East Indian home, lookout for stuffed chicken, tongue moile, pork roast and beef-mince potato chops. Make sure you serve yourself heapfuls of delicious pork sorpotel made with bottle-masala. Fugias or chitaps go best with it. Pulao sprinkled with fried onion, plums and cashews is perfect with mutton kuddi curry. Thali sweet, borose and bolene (coconut-based)are the main sweets. But, Christmas is not Christmas without its cake with mixed peels. Dried black grape is fermented with sugar and water for 20 days and Voila! We have wine.
Inputs from Christabelle Fonseca
Sorpotel and Sannas
While fugias and sorpotel are a favourite in East-Indian households, it would be a crime to forget sannas and sorpotel in Goan homes. Pulao, prepared in Portuguese style with sausages is also popular. Don’t miss out on chicken xacuti, assad (roast beef), beef stew, baked and roast pigling (cut in four pieces and cooked in green masala), Goa sausages and stuffed chicken (prepared the Goan way with egg, veggies, chicken liver and masala). Marzipan, neuris, kulkuls, dos, kokad, pinag, bath, dodol, bebinca, vade (made from jaggery) are the desserts to gorge on.
Inputs from Elvira Viegas Gonsalves
Fugias courtesy: Avril-Ann Braganza
Kulkuls and Jujups courtsey: Sean Fernandes
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shabana Azmi went street shopping for 'Chalk n Duster'
- Would love to do a film based on chess: Aamir Khan
- Never thought I'd do a Mahesh Bhatt film: Vidya Balan
- When Sonakshi's desire to sing 'stagnated'
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns': Kangana an award winner for Madhur!
- Hiding true colours makes you feel immoral
- Sharon Osbourne taking month long break form 'The Talk'
- Model Nicole Trunfio poses breastfeeding son in Elle cover
- 'Dil Dhadakne Do' team to promote film at IPL final
- Pamela Anderson ready to date lots of guys
- Did Vanessa Hudgens help BFF Selena to avoid her ex Justin Bieber?
- Recipe: Fruit Salad
- Recipe: Feta green salad with mango vinaigrette
- Recipe: Green Juice
- Recipe: Baked Cabbage
- Recipe: Healthy Zucchini Muffins
- Recipe: Anjeer ki Chutney
- Recipe: Banana Cream Pizza
- Recipe: Bhetki Macher Paturi
- Recipe: Low Fat Palak Paneer
- Sugarless Dates Sesame Laddu
- Recipe: Mushroom Salad
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22