French lentil soup
French Lentil Soup acts as a fantastic appetizer and is low in calories too.
• 1 tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
• 2 cups Onions (chopped)
• 1 cup Celery Stalks (chopped)
• 2 tbsp Celery Leaves (chopped)
• 1 cup Carrots (chopped)
• 2 cloves Garlic (chopped)
• 4 cups Vegetable Broth
• 1-1/4 cup Lentils (rinsed, drained)
• 400 gms Diced Tomatoes in juice
• Balsamic Vinegar (optional)
Heat the oil in a non stick over medium-high heat.
Add chopped onions, celery, carrots, and garlic; sauté until vegetables begin to brown, or for about 15 minutes.
Add vegetable broth, lentils and tomatoes with juice; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover the pan and simmer until lentils are tender, or for about 35 minutes.
Transfer 2 cups of this mixture (mostly solids) to blender and puree until smooth.
Return puree to the soup in the pan. If the soup is too thick, then add about 1/4 cup of broth to it.
Season the soup with salt, pepper and a splash of vinegar, if desired.
Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with chopped celery leaves.