Ganesh Chaturthi: Chana Usal
A popular and healthy Maharashtrian dish with a strong flavour of coconut and made from sprouts, this is a particular favourite during festivals.
• 1 Cup sprouted chana, cooked
• 1/2 tsp Garam masala
• 5 Curry leaves
• 1/4 tsp Crushed cumin seeds
• 1/4 tsp Minced garlic
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 3 tbsp Oil
• Salt to taste
• Make paste of:
• 1/2 Cup fresh coconut, grated
• 8 Green chilies
• 1 Small bunch coriander
• In a large frying pan, heat 3 tbsp oil.
• Add the coconut paste and fry for two minutes.
• Pour three cups water and bring the mixture to boil.
• Add remaining ingredients and boil again.
• Cook the contents for about 20 minutes, stir it occasionally.
• Simmer until chanas turn soft and oil starts separating.
• Garnish Chana Usal with chopped onions and serve immediately.