Grandmas have an answer to most of our troubles in their tiny kitchen. Here are some invaluable tips passed on by grandmas from generation to generation.
Remedies for hiccups
1. Place a tablespoon of sugar in mouth and suck slowly. In most cases, it is a sure remedy.
2. Hold your breath as long as possible, and let it go out. The lungs expand and push down on the diaphragm, stopping hiccups immediately.
3. Mix 2 teaspoon common salt in a cup of plain yogurt and eat. In most cases, it is a good remedy.
4. Boil ½ teaspoon of cardamom fresh powder in 2 cups of water till about 1 cup remains. Sieve it and drink a glassful of this warm water.
5. For recurring hiccups, suck small pieces of fresh ginger.
6. Plug your ears with your fingers and drink something with a straw.
7. Lay on your back.
8. Put a paper bag over your mouth and nose and breathe several times.
9. For some eating a spoonful peanut butter stops hiccups immediately. It can work for children also.
Remedies for acne cure
1. Orange peel pounded well with water. Applied to affected acne areas
2. Cucumber leaves or grated pieces. Apply to area for acne cure.
3. Rub the pimple( acne) with a fresh cut clove of garlic.
4. Drinking atleast 1 litre of water a day to impart a healthy glow to the skin.
5. Clove based face mask or a paste of Fenugreek (Methi ) leaves applied overnight on acne and washed off next morning
Remedies for dandruff cure
1. About 10-15 minutes before you wash your hair, rub a lot of aloe vera gel into your scalp. Leave it on for 10 minutes and shampoo your hair like you do regularly. If you do this everyday the dandruff will stay away.
2. Use lime juice to wash hair.
3. Soak 2 tablespoons fenugreek seeds in water overnight. In the morning grind into a fine paste. Apply all over scalp and leave for ½ an hour. Wash with mild shampoo.
4. Mix the olive oil with the almond oil. Leave it on about 5 min.s after it starts to burn. Rinse well to clear dandruff.
5. Massage your hair with warm coconut oil and apply the juice of 2 lemons, steam your hair and leave the oil on for about 2 hours. Shampoo with a mild shampoo. Repeat 2-3 times a week.
6. Boil a handful of neem leaves in 4 teacups of water. After cooling and filtering, use for rinsing hair.
Remedies for constipation cure, treatment:
1. Bale fruit is the best laxative of all fruits. It cleans and tones up the intestines & gives constipation relief.
2. Constipation in toddlers, infants and older children may be relieved by giving bran cereal
3. Guava when eaten with seeds provides roughage to diet can give relief from constipation
4. Add more fruits to the diet prunes pears, grapes, Orange juice & Papaya.
5. Try one tablespoonful of corn syrup added to 8oz of water to cure constipation
6. Another natural remedy for constipation is to add a little extra sugar or some honey a glass of milk. Drink twice a day.
Remedies for colic pain:
1. Take a ½ gram of Asafetida (Hing Powder) & mix it with little water make a paste of it and fill up your belly button, lie down for 15-30 minutes and you will release some gas for few times, after that you will be fine.
Remedies for acidity relief:
1. Take one piece of clove and suck on it slowly. This will give you relief from acidity and also help in reducing the onslaught of diseases arising out of acidity.
2. Eat a cup of vanilla ice cream or drink a glass of cold milk to get heartburn and acidity relief within minutes
Remedies for heartburn relief:
1. Eat several almonds when heartburn symptoms persist.
2. Lemons- can prevent hearburn. Cut a lemon into thin strips and dip in salt. Eat before meals to prevent heartburn.
3. Lemon rind can also be eaten to prevent heartburn.
Remedies for arthritis:
1. Herbal arthritis remedies have been helping ease arthritis pain and inflammation for centuries.
2. 1tablespoon juice of fresh of bathua, drink every day on an empty stomach for 2-3 months. Do not add anything to the juice and do not eat anything for 2 hours before and after
3. Warm mustard oil, spread it over madar leaf and foment the joint by spreading the leaf over the joint and keeping it there for a few hours for arthritis relief
4. On an empty stomach take 3-4 walnuts (akhrot) or 1 fresh coconut
Remedies for age spots:
1. Apply vitamin E oil directly to age spots daily to reduce coloration of age spots
Remedies for asthma:
1. Express the juice from garlic. Mix 10 - 15 drops in warm water and take internally for asthma relief.
2. Mix, onion juice ¼ cup, honey 1 tablespoon and black pepper 1/8 tablespoon.
3. Mix licorice and ginger together. Take ½ tablespoon in 1 cup of water for relief from asthma.
4. Drink a glass of 2/3 carrot juice, 1/3 spinach juice, 3 times a day .
5. Add 30-40 leaves of Basil in a liter of water, strain the leaves and drink the water throughout the day effective for asthma.
Remedies for insect bites:
1. Smoke produced as a result of burning of Neem leaves in a small vessel, 1 hour prior to going to bed helps in driving away the mosquitoes.
Remedies for baldness:
1. Boil 1 cup mustard oil with 4 tablespoon henna leaves. Filter and bottle. Massage on the bald patches regularly.
2. Grind 1/2 lime seeds, and 1/2 black pepper, apply to bald patches regularly. Helpful home remedy to cure baldness
3. Scrub the bald area with onions till it becomes red. Follow up by applying honey over patch.
4. Rub on the scalp with 1 teaspoon oil in which raw mangoes have been preserved for over one year. Repeat treatment frequently.
Remedies for bad breath:
1. Chew some cardamom seeds to sweeten your breath.
2. Parsley leaves are rich in chlorophyll, nature`s own deodoriser
3. Chew some leaves regularly for fresh breath.
4. Add the juice of half a lemon to a glass of water & use as a last rinse.
Remedies for burn treatment:
1. Flame burn treatment: To put out the fire, roll the victim on the ground and wrap with rugs, blankets or a coat.
2. Chemical burn treatment: Wash thoroughly the burnt area under running tap water for atleast 30 minutes till the burning subsides.
3. Electric burn first aid: Switch off the main electric switch.
4. Apply ice pack or cloth soaked in ice water and change them constantly
Remedies for bronchitis:
1. Mix 1 teaspoon garlic oil, and 3 teaspoons honey. Take 3 times a day.
Remedies for high blood pressure:
1. Home remedy for Low BP - Drink a glass of raw beetroot juice 2 times a day, for at least a week.
2. Home remedy for High BP -Mix 1/2 onion juice and 1/2 honey. Take 2 tbls once a day for 1-2 weeks.
3. Eat 1 Papaya on an empty stomach daily for a month. Do not eat anything after for about 2 hours.
Remedies for bleeding gums:
1. With a pinch of salt soaked in a glass of lukewarm water, you now create a homemade saline solution. Use this to rinse in the morning and in the evening. This will help increase circulation in your gums and reduce the swelling.
2. No matter how well and how often you brush your teeth, you can`t reach the areas between your teeth and below the gums. Make the habit of flossing. Floss comes in very handy. Keep one in your bag or at your office. After meal, floss it!
Remedies for bladder infections:
1. One teaspoon of olive oil and one teaspoon of garlic juice mixed in a glass of warm water. Drink three times a day, before meals.
2. A teaspoon of pure garlic juice is effective in killing off the bacteria responsible for many bladder infections. This treatment can be repeated as often as needed.
Remedies for backache:
1. A dose of powdered Sonth, Meetha soda and Namak ( salt), if consumed with hot milk or water, redresses backache.
Remedies for athletes foot:
1. Soak feet in very warm water with about one part white vinegar to four parts water, for 20 - 30 minutes, 2 times a day, until the fungus is no longer visible and irritating
Remedies for mouth ulcers:
1. Application of peppermint oil helps as it is an anesthetic agent.
2. Mix coconut milk with honey and massage the gums 3 times a day.
3. Take 1 tsp finely powdered Indian Gooseberry root bark, mix with honey. Apply to affected areas frequently.
Remedies for indigestion:
1. Mix equal parts of baking soda and water in a glass. Drink as soon as you feel indigestion coming.
Remedies for sinus headaches:
1. Dip a small towel in cold water, rinse, and apply to forehead. Once the towel gets warm, flip it to the other side, or dip it into cold water again.
2. Lying down, in a dark room, maybe getting a 1/2 hour of sleep, will always make you feel better.
3. A decoction of half a teaspoon mustard seeds powder and three teaspoons water, if instilled in the nostrils, redresses migraine.
4. The juice of ripe grapes is an effective home remedy for a migraine.
5. For a sinus headache, eat a jalapeno pepper as soon as possible. Within minutes your sinuses will start to drain and the sinus headache will subside.
6. A peppermint steam inhalation provides quick relief for sinus headaches. Peppermint acts as a decongestant, and the combination of warm steam and the essential oil is doubly effective for opening up the sinuses.
7. Mix 1 teaspoon finely ground cinnamon (called dalchini in India) in 1 teaspoon water and apply on the forehead. It is very effective in headache due to exposure to cold air.
8. Make a paste from dry ginger with a little water or milk, apply to the forehead for sinus relief.
9. Grind 10-15 Basil leaves with 4 cloves and 1 teaspoon dried ginger into a paste and apply to forehead for sinus cure.
10. For a painful sinus headache, try a hot footbath along with a cold compress on the forehead