Handy tips for smart kitchen work
Try out these handy tips for trouble free time in kitchen.
Avoid sticky rice Wash the rice a few times until the water runs clear. Remove all the water until no water remains. Let it sit for 20 minutes. This will remove all the starch and help the rice to remain separate. Also adding a few drops of lemon juice to the rice while cooking, you will find that the grains of rice will tend to remain separate.
2. For crispier puris Add a teaspoon of semolina / rava (suji) and 1 teaspoon of rice flour to the wheat flour while kneading.
3. Quick tomato paste cubes Spoon tomato paste into ice cube trays. Freeze overnight. Transfer into plastic bags and freeze. Frozen cubes can be dropped right into curries.
4. Eggplants retaining colour When cooking eggplant add a spoon of milk to a bowl of water and add the cut up pieces to that water. The eggplant will retain their color without becoming black.
5. Remedy for salty curry Wash a potato. Cut into two. Place the two halves of the raw potato in the curry and it will absorb the extra salt.
6. Ready to use masalas Sometimes cooking requires a lot of pre-preparation. Make masalas ahead of the time. Stock the masala in the freezer till not required for cooking. This method will save a lot of time.
7. How to cut an onion without crying? One can adopt any of these methods to cut onion without crying - peel and cut onions under running water. Chop onions near a gas flame. Or refrigerating onions before chopping.
8. Using kitchen scissors most One must use kitchen scissors to chop coriander leaves, mint leaves and chillies to avoid any kind of a mess. One can stock this for the purpose of garnishing.
9. Buying lemons and lime Buy large lemons and limes, they tend to be much sweeter. Make sure that the skin is thin, those are much juicer. To obtain more of the juice from lemons, limes or oranges, microwave on high for 30 seconds and then let stand for a couple of minutes before cutting and squeezing. Rolling them between your hand and the counter will also help release more juice.
10. Skinning a chicken with ease Always peel off a little part of the Chicken skin to start with and hold it tightly with a paper towel. The skin latches on to the paper towel.
11. Overripe tomatoes Dip them in cold water, add some salt and leave overnight. They will be fresh and firm to touch the next day.
12. Tips for making dosa To ensure that the griddle (tawa) is hot enough before spreading dosa, sprinkle a little water over it. If it sizzles immediately, then the griddle is hot enough. Wipe with a clean rag or half a raw onion and proceed.
13. Tip for making soft chappati dough While making paneer from milk, don`t throw away the paneer water. This nutritious water can be used for making soft dough for chapatis or can be used to cook dals.
14. Retaining the "whiteness" of white rice While cooking rice add a few drops of lemon juice. The color of the grains become bright white.
15. Reheating left-over rice Refrigerate leftover cooked rice in a well-sealed container. Reheat cold rice with a sprinkling of water in a microwave oven or in a covered pot over low heat.