Independence Day Recipe: Meen Polichattu
· Bekti 120 grams ,4 steaks
· Salt to taste
· Black pepper powder to taste
· Turmeric powder 1 teaspoon
· Lemon juice 2 tablespoons
· Whole dry red chillies 6-8
· Ginger 1 inch piece
· Garlic 8-10 cloves
· Black peppercorns 7-8
· Coconut Oil to shallow fry 2 tablespoons
· Mustard seeds 1/2 teaspoon
· Curry leaves 10
· Shallots, sliced 10
· Green chillies, slit 2
· Tomatoes, chopped 2 medium
· Thick coconut milk 1/2 cup
· Banana leaves 4
1. Mix salt, black pepper powder, turmeric powder and lemon juice in a bowl.
2. Apply this mixture on the fish and set aside for half an hour.
3. Grease the banana leaves with a little oil.
4. Grind together dry red chillies, ginger, garlic and black peppercorns to a fine paste.
5. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, curry leaves and onions and sauté for two to three minutes.
6. Add green chillies and ground paste and sauté on high heat.
7. Add tomatoes and continue to sauté.
8. Add thick coconut milk and salt to the masala and mix.
9. Remove from heat and spread on a plate to cool.
10. Take a banana leaf, spread some masala on it.
11. Place the fish over the masala and spread some more masala over the fish.
12. Fold the edges and secure with toothpicks. Similarly prepare the other fish.
13. Heat some oil in a pan and place the wrapped fish on it.
14. Cook turning the parcels a few times for eight to ten minutes.
15. Serve hot in banana leaves itself
(The recipe has been shared by Courtyard By Marriott Pune City Centre, Chef Mihir Kane)