Who says a delicious Thanksgiving meal cannot be cooked by using minimum fat and calories? Here are some quick and easy ways to cut down fat from your Thanksgiving feast:
1. Always remove skin from turkey before eating as it contains maximum fat.
2. Make gravy from low fat oils. Allow the fat to rise to the top, and then skim. You can also cool the drippings because it makes the task of skimming much easier.
3. Replace the butter often called for in stuffing recipes with fat-free broth. If your stuffing calls for sausage meat, use chicken sausage instead of pork.
4. Make skinny mashed potatoes by replacing butter and heavy cream with one of the following: fat-free broth, fat-free half and half, low-fat milk or low-fat buttermilk.
5. Use reduced-fat mushroom soup in your green bean casserole, and use cooking spray to saute the onions. You can also microwave them without using a drop of oil.
6. Make your pies with low-fat phyllo dough as the base.
7. Use wheat flour in place of all purpose flour wherever you can.
8. Use honey and jaggery instead of sugar.
9. Coat chicken and fish in breadcrumbs rather than batter, and bake them instead of frying them
10. Use one egg and two egg whites per person in your favorite egg dishes or cakes; or cut fat and cholesterol completely by using egg substitute.
11. Choose Canadian bacon or turkey bacon instead of regular bacon.
12. Try fat-free evaporated milk in creamy soups and casseroles instead of heavy cream.
13. Oven-fry potatoes instead of making or buying French fries.
14. Choose reduced fat sour cream or yogurt instead of full-fat versions for stews, dips, spreads, and dressings.
15. Use herbs, spices, fruits and salsas to flavor your food.