Low fat Thanksgiving tips
Who says a delicious Thanksgiving meal cannot be cooked by using minimum fat and calories? Here are some quick and easy ways to cut down fat from your Thanksgiving feast:
1. Always remove skin from turkey before eating as it contains maximum fat.
2. Make gravy from low fat oils. Allow the fat to rise to the top, and then skim. You can also cool the drippings because it makes the task of skimming much easier.
3. Replace the butter often called for in stuffing recipes with fat-free broth. If your stuffing calls for sausage meat, use chicken sausage instead of pork.
4. Make skinny mashed potatoes by replacing butter and heavy cream with one of the following: fat-free broth, fat-free half and half, low-fat milk or low-fat buttermilk.
5. Use reduced-fat mushroom soup in your green bean casserole, and use cooking spray to saute the onions. You can also microwave them without using a drop of oil.
6. Make your pies with low-fat phyllo dough as the base.
7. Use wheat flour in place of all purpose flour wherever you can.
8. Use honey and jaggery instead of sugar.
9. Coat chicken and fish in breadcrumbs rather than batter, and bake them instead of frying them
10. Use one egg and two egg whites per person in your favorite egg dishes or cakes; or cut fat and cholesterol completely by using egg substitute.
11. Choose Canadian bacon or turkey bacon instead of regular bacon.
12. Try fat-free evaporated milk in creamy soups and casseroles instead of heavy cream.
13. Oven-fry potatoes instead of making or buying French fries.
14. Choose reduced fat sour cream or yogurt instead of full-fat versions for stews, dips, spreads, and dressings.
15. Use herbs, spices, fruits and salsas to flavor your food.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Iconic 'Doctor Zhivago' star Omar Sharif suffering from Alzheimer's disease
- Myleene Klass 'happy' post ending year-old relationship with beau
- Ed Sheeran planning a year-long sabbatical to `live a bit`
- Kimye to relive the `best time` of their lives one more time
- Here's why Ian McKellen almost turned down knighthood in 1991
- Robert De Niro inspires young grads
- JK Rowling feels reputation restored post Daily Mail apology
- 'Piku' still shining bright at the Box Office
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' doing phenomenal business at Box Office!
- 'Dil Dhadakne Do' cast lands in Kolkata for film promotions
- `Boxer fetished` Justin Bieber won't repeat underwears
- Eid Special Recipe: Tabouli Salad
- Eid special recipe: Maamoul Cookies
- Eid special recipe: Parsi Sev
- Eid special recipe: Shahi Nawabi Biryani
- Eid special recipe: Sheer Khurma
- Recipe: Steamed Kabab
- Recipe: Eid Special Malpua
- Recipe: Kashmiri Biryani
- Recipe: Phirni
- Recipe: Kofta Curry
- Recipe: Sheer Korma
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered