Recipe: Achari Chana Pulao
Tasty Chana Pulao with a achari twist!
2 tbsp Aam ka Achaar
1 1/4 cups long grained rice (basmati)
2 tbsp ghee
1 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
1 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
1 tsp fenugreek (methi) seeds
1 tsp nigella seeds (kalonji)
2 black cardamoms (badi elaichi)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1/2 tsp asafoetida (hing)
1/2 cup sliced onions
1 tsp ginger-garlic (adrak-lehsun) paste
1/2 cup soaked and boiled kabuli chana (white chick peas)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
salt to taste
Blend the mango pickle in a mixer to a coarse paste. Keep aside.
Clean, wash and soak the rice for 10 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
Put 2½ cups of water to boil.
Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker, add the fennel seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, onion seeds, big cardamoms, cumin seeds and asafoetida.
When the seeds crackle, add the onions and sauté till they turn translucent.
Add the ginger-garlic paste, kabuli chana, turmeric powder, chilli powder, Punjabi garam masala, salt and the prepared pickle paste and sauté for 2 minutes.
Add the rice and sauté for 2 more minutes.
Add the hot water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
Separate each grain of rice lightly with a fork.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' breaks into Rs 100 crore club
- Vidya Balan turns down Suchitra Sen biopic
- Disney pulls plug on 'Tron 3'
- 21 European films to be screened in Kolkata
- Mamata Banerjee remembers Rituparno Ghosh as West Bengal's pride
- Iggy Azalea cancels tour
- 'Ishqedarriyaan' review: An oft-seen love story
- Chris Brown sometimes hated himself
- Emilia Clarke called 'Dragon Lady' in shops
- Kangana Ranaut inaugurates first Gap store in India
- Nicki Minaj particular about sex
- Recipe: Dahi mutton
- Ramnavami special recipe: Methi rice
- Makar Sankranti special recipe: Til Ka Laddoo
- New Year special recipe: Stuffed mushroom with pomegranate
- Recipe: Crock-pot chili (Roasted West Indian Pumpkin soup)
- Eid special recipe: Chicken Biryani
- Recipe: Machli kofta curry
- Navratri special recipe: Kaju Katli
- Navratri special recipe: Fruit Raita
- Navratri special recipe: Til Khoya Laddoo
- Navratri special recipe: Singhare ki Puri and Vrat ke Aloo ki Bhaji
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- MHA notification: SC issues notice to Delhi govt
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 29, 2015
- Railways may hike AC class fares from June 1, 2015
- Protests outside IIT-Madras against ban on students' group
- Special: Heart-wrenching tales of elderly people in old age homes
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- US formally removes Cuba from terror blacklist in landmark move
- Maggi noodles controversy: Case to be filed against Nestle in UP today
- Log on to ahsec.nic.in: AHSEC 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Arrival of Monsoon over Kerala delayed by 2-3 days: Met Department
- Govt committed to One Rank, One Pension: PM Narendra Modi
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared to be declared today at 3PM