Recipe: Achari Murg
Made with spices used in pickles, Achari Murg is a delectable North India dish.
• 1 kg Chicken pieces
• 2 tsp Fenugreek seeds
• 1 tsp Mustard seeds
• 1 tsp Fennel seeds
• 1 tsp Cumin seeds
• 1 tsp Red chili powder
• 1 tsp Turmeric powder
• 1 tsp Onion seeds
• 2 Red dry chilies
• 2 Large onions sliced
• 2 tsp Garlic paste
• 2 tsp Ginger paste
• 1 Cup tomato puree
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 1/2 Cup water
• Salt to taste
• 3-4 tbsp Mustard oil
• Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and add the mustard, fennel, fenugreek, cumin, onion seeds, chilies and fry for a few seconds.
• Add onion and fry on high level for a few seconds till the onions are well coated with oil and are still crunchy (neither fried nor soft).
• Transfer to a bowl, leaving the oil in the pan.
• To the same pan, add the ginger-garlic pastes, turmeric, red chili powder and sauté for a few seconds.
• Add the chicken pieces and fry on high level for about 2 minutes.
• Add the water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook on low level for about 20 minutes.
• Add the tomato puree and fry on high level for a few seconds.
• Now add the fried onion mix and sprinkle salt to taste. Mix well.
• Sauté on a high level for about 2 minutes.
• Add lemon juice and mix well.
• Serve hot.