Recipe: Basic Yellow Cake
Last Updated: Tuesday, June 9, 2015 - 16:27
Treat your taste buds with this yummy basic yellow cake.
- 2 2/3 cups cake flour
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1/8 t. salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) dairy-free soy margarine, slightly cooler than room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 ½ t. vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, soy milk or rice milk
- Preheat the oven to 325 F. Lightly grease (with dairy-free margarine) two 8" round cake pans, line with greased parchment and lightly flour, tapping out excess.
- Set aside. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another medium-large mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer, beat together the soy margarine and sugar until fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Add the vanilla, beating until well combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between additions. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the margarine mixture, followed by 1/3 cup of the almond milk, and continue adding the remaining ingredients in two more additions, beating well before adding the next.
- Mix until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pans, smoothing the tops with an offset spatula.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool for 10 minutes in the pans before transferring the cakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, frost with dairy-free frosting of your choice and serve, either as two single-layer cakes or one layer cake.
First Published: Tuesday, January 1, 2013 - 10:39
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- AR Rahman's romantic ballads steal Delhi hearts
- Influential theatre and opera director Luc Bondy dead at 67
- No one better than Ranveer, Deepika as Bajirao and Mastani: Priyanka
- Bigg Boss 9: Rimi Sen does not choose to leave house, Priya Malik wins immunity and captainship!
- Darshan Kumar excited to share screen space with Aishwarya