Recipe: Basque Cake
Try out this delightful, cream filled, delicious Spanish recipe.
• For Pastry Cream Filling:
• 1 1/4 cups Milk
• 1/3 cup White Sugar
• 2 tbsp All-Purpose Flour
• 2 Eggs
• 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
• Cake Dough:
• 1 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
• ½ tsp Baking Powder
• 1 1/4 cups White Sugar
• 3 Eggs
• Take a saucepan and combine milk with 1/3 cup of white sugar.
• Boil the milk, stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar.
• Remove from heat and set aside.
• Combine together 1/3 white sugar with 2 tbsp of flour in a small bowl.
• Add 2 eggs and vanilla extract.
• Pour ½ cup of hot milk to the egg mixture. Mix well.
• Pour the egg mixture back to the saucepan containing the remaining hot milk.
• Place the saucepan on the stock and boil it.
• Cook on medium heat till the mixture turns thick and smooth.
• Remove from heat and cool for 1 hour.
• Preheat oven to 180 °C.
• Grease and flour a 9 inch springform pan.
• Mix together flour and baking powder.
• Combine together sugar and eggs. Beat till the mixture turns light and creamy.
• Add the flour in three parts and mix gently to form dough.
• Place half the dough in the greased pan and spread it to cover the entire bottom.
• Pour the pastry filling on the dough.
• Add the second half of the dough. Make sure that the filling is properly enclosed.
• Bake the cake for 30 to 45 minutes till it turns golden brown.