Recipe: Beetroot Halwa on Saffron Toast
Unusual yet tasty. Beetroot is not a common favourite, though this halwa will change your perception!
Description: Unusual yet tasty. Beetroot is not a common favourite, though this halwa will change your perception!
Servings: 6 - 10
- 500 grams Beetroot, peeled and grated
- 3 cups milk
- ½ cup Khoya / Dried whole milk solids
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons ghee (Clarified butter)
- 1/2 tsp cardamom (elaichi) powder
- 4 drops rose water / essence
- 100 grams Readymade Rabdi
- 10 strands Saffron
- 3 teaspoons milk
Group: Chocolate Almonds:
- 100 grams White Chocolate
- 10 pcs. Almonds: 10 nos.
- 10 pcs. Cashewnuts
- 10 pcs. Bread slices
- 2 tablespoons Ghee/Clarified Butter
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pan, Add the beetroot to the pan and saute on medium flame for 8 – 10 minutes.
- Once it is tender, add the hot milk and keep stirring till it reduces and becomes thick.
- Add the sugar, mix well and cook, till it reduces.
- Add the khoya, 1 tbsp ghee and cardamom powder and mix well.
- When the halwa is cooked and becomes thick, add the rose water and mix well and keep aside.
- Now in 3tsp warm milk mix saffron strands.. After 5 minutes add Rabdi to this saffron milk and simmer for 2 mins. Rabdi will get a beautiful saffron colour.
- Group: Chocolate Almonds
- Melt chocolate on a double boiler. As soon as it melts add cashewnuts and almonds to it. On a greased tray place these chocolate coated almonds one by one.
- Keep it inside the fridge for 5 – 7 mins or until the coating has set.
- Cut bread slices into bite sized round/ square shapes.
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a pan and add 2 tbsp sugar to it. Once it’s hot and sugar starts to melt.
- Start cooking the bread slices until they’re golden brown from both sides.
- Assemble the dessert, spread saffron rabdi on toast, place beetroot halwa quenelle on top of it and garnish with chocolate almonds.
- Notes: If Khoya / Dried whole milk solids is not available then use ½ cup Condensed milk instead.
(The recipe has been shared by Chef Saransh Goila)