Recipe: Broccoli, pine nut and feta cheese tikkis
Makes around 10- 12 tikkis
Paired with a strong masala chai, these healthy and tasty tikkis with a Greek twist is perfect for a wet monsoon evening !
1 large potato - boiled
2 bread slices
1 onion - finely chopped
2 Green chillies - finely chopped
1 tsp finely chopped ginger
¼ tsp cumin powder
50 gms pine nuts
100 gms feta cheese
Salt to taste
Chaat masala - to sprinkle
Oil - for shallow frying
1. Cut broccoli into florets and cook them in boiling water for couple of minutes. Refresh with ice cold water. Drain and reserve.
2. Mash the boiled potato.
3. Remove the crust and run the bread in a mixie to make bread crumbs.
4. Chop the broccoli coarsely or pulse in a food processor or mixie.
5. Heat a tsp of oil and add finely chopped onions and fry until they turn translucent. Add chopped green chillies and ginger and sauté for a minute.
6. Add the chopped broccoli, mashed potato and pine nuts.
7. Season with salt and chaat masala as per taste.
8. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and allow it to cool.
9. Add the bread crumbs and mix well.
10. Shape into 10 -12 even sized spheres and stuff them with feta cheese. Shape into round and flat tikkis.
11. Apply few tbsp of oil on a hot tawa or non stick pan. Shallow fry the tikkis till light golden in colour. Drain the tikkis on paper napkins.
12. Sprinkle chaat masala and serve hot with mint chutney.
1. You could replace pine nuts with peanuts, almonds or cashew nuts. If you cannot find feta cheese, replace with any cheese of your choice.
2. These tikkis could also be dipped in egg or corn flour batter and crumbed with bread crumbs or sesame seeds to give a crisper texture.
(The recipe has been shared by Chef Rajesh Radhakrishnan, who works at The Park hotel, Chennai)